SharePoint 2007 on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking to install SharePoint 2007 on WHS - has anyone been able to do it?

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:11 PM

All replies

• Installing SharePoint on Windows Home Server is supported by neither team. As far as I know, this KB article is applicable to SharePoint 2007 as well as SharePoint 3.0. It's not likely that installing Sharepoint will be supported on Vail, either.

You can certainly try installing, but I recommend very strongly that you do so in a lab environment, not with your production server. Hurdles that you're likely to encounter may include: where the SharePoint database resides, IIS issues (because SharePoint will want to take over IIS fairly completely), performance, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:33 PM
  • If you want to install WSS (free verion) have look at the excellent guide from Tom Ziegman.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Basically, we are running this as a test/ small business environment (less than 5 users).

I bought an Aspire easyStore H340 to run MOSS2007 for some development work.  I have licenses for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise but I am unsure if I want to overhaul the box i bought.

Do you think I will have a headache with WHS?

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Do you think I will have a headache with WHS?

Yes. It's not designed to be a general purpose server operating system. I would let Windows Home Server do what it's good at (file server, backup device for up to 10 clients) and set up a separate server for your SharePoint development.

You can try WSS 3.0 per brubber, but frankly I don't think you'll be all that happy with it, even as a development box.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:54 PM
  • So I am better off installing the SB server?
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:21 PM
  • I would set up a separate server for your development tasks; I don't know off the top of my head if the Acer unit even has a video connector, and Acer may have disabled it for all I know if it's there.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:25 PM