off topic - Windows will not recognize my NEC DVD RW 3550A as a DVD writer! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Please can someone help me.  This is frustrating the hell out of me.  I have not been able to burn any of the footage I have edited on to DVD because windows seems to think that my disk drive is a CD ROM, (or at least that's what it says in the driver list).  Every time I try to burn a dvd it tells me that I do not have the appropriate drive.  A friend at work said that windows often updates drivers incorrectly.  This is all well and good, but I can see no way to get the pc to recognize that it has a dvd writer.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/Default.aspx

It sounds like a driver problem or perhaps a problem with the drive firmware and whatever you are trying to use for the burn.

You could try removing the drive from Device Manager, rebooting the PC and seeing if Windows installs the correct driver.

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Thanks Steve.  appreciate the advice.  Will try asap.

G.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:32 PM