I can't access computers on my Home Server network remotely RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to access my Home Server network computers remotely I receive the message "The remote connection to the computer has timed out. Please connect again". All the computers at my home are running either Windows Vista Premium or Business and they all have remote access enabled. I can connect remotely to all of them from within the network but not from outside. I am able to log in to the web page and open the Shared folders. I just can't connect to any of the computers including the server. 

My work server is an SBS 2008 box. I have configured the firewall to allow traffic through the relevant ports. My router at home is also configured to allow traffic to these ports.

Any help with this will be welcomed.

Regards,

SteveMST
    Monday, August 3, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• When I try to access my Home Server network computers remotely I receive the message "The remote connection to the computer has timed out. Please connect again". All the computers at my home are running either Windows Vista Premium or Business and they all have remote access enabled.

Vista Home Premium doesn't have incoming Remote Desktop.  As for connecting to the Vista Business client, are you using IE to connect to your server from outside your LAN?

I can connect remotely to all of them from within the network but not from outside. I am able to log in to the web page and open the Shared folders. I just can't connect to any of the computers including the server. 

My work server is an SBS 2008 box. I have configured the firewall to allow traffic through the relevant ports. My router at home is also configured to allow traffic to these ports.

Any help with this will be welcomed.

Regards,

SteveMST

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:36 AM
  • I'm sorry, when I said Windows Vista Home Premium I meant Windows Vista Ultimate. I have 4 computers at home: 2 run Vista Ultimate, 1 runs Vista Business. The 4th runs Vista Home Premium. I know I can't connect to that one.

As I stated in the posting, I am able to access the server web page and I can see the PCs in the computer list. When I try to connect to any of them using the web page, I receive the error that I described. The IE Active X plugin is installed. The relevant ports are open on both sides.

SteveMST

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Usually that error is a result of a policy put in place by your IT staff which blocks certain ports at the router. Probably the easiest way to test is to take a laptop to some other place with a network connection (library, Starbucks, etc.) and test from there.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:10 PM