Problem backing up shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am backing up 600 gigs of shared folders to a 1T external USB drive.  At the current rate, it will take over 50 hours to finish.  At first,  the transfer was rather fast then it slowed to a crawl.  I stopped the backup and rebooted the server.  I then restarted the backup process and it continues to run very slowly.

Is this normal or did I do something wrong?
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:18 PM

Answers

• This is a wrap-up to my initial posting regarding the slow screens.  I had incremental improvements by giving the server time to do housekeeping and by removing McAfee.  However the problem was finally and totally resolved by removing PVConnect.  The improvement was immediate and long-lasting.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:45 PM

All replies

• How are you backing the data up? Are you using the server backup feature that was added in Power Pack 1?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Yes, I am using the Power Pack 1 feature that allows the shared folders to be backed up to an external drive.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:06 PM
  • That sounds somewhat slow, I will admit. Do you have relatively small numbers of large (1 GB+) files, or very large numbers of smaller (50 MB-) files? Small files will take significantly longer, all else being equal.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Most of the files are less than 50 MB.  Only about 50 GBs would be made up of 1 GB+ files.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Hud,
    Just let the backup run. As the green progress bar does not progress linear in time it very likely that the backup will finish in a much shorter time then the 50 hour prediction (bases on the current progress)

Theo.

PS - I presume you are backing up using a USB 2.0 connection?
    If not, USB 1.x is much to slow for this purpose.
    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Theo,
    Thanks for the good suggestion.  The server finally stopped transfering files.  I then decided to populate the backup disc with the same files from another source.  When that is complete I will sync the backup copy with the server copy (assuming it is working).

In the meantime, there is a two minutes delay between screen changes on the console.  I have rebooted and decided to let the server relax for a while and just do internal maintenance.

O, the USB port is a 2.0.

Any ideas on the screen delays?

Larry
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Hud111 said:

Theo,
    Thanks for the good suggestion.  The server finally stopped transfering files.  I then decided to populate the backup disc with the same files from another source.  When that is complete I will sync the backup copy with the server copy (assuming it is working).

That probably won't work. Windows Home Server is unlikely to see those files as being part of a backup unless it did the backup.

Monday, September 8, 2008 12:21 AM
  •  

Aahhh, the weekend and I can wrap up this issue.

Since I noticed that the hard discs were working very hard, I decided that the server was doing some rather intense house cleaning and therefore left it alone for 24 hours.  When I returned to the external backup process, I found that it moved quickly and finished the initial backup routine in several hours.  Subsequent backups have been completed in minutes.

The two to five minute screen change problem has now been moderately resolved (by waiting).  Most of the screen changes are now normal or delayed by several seconds --- but at least it is not minutes!

Before I gave the server the R&R time, I removed the McAfee anti-virus protection.  I don’t know it that had any effect or not.  I plan on installing Avast later today.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

Glad you finally sorted it.
    The McAfee software is noted for grabbing CPU cycles. It has to index the whole system and until such time as it's completed that, your system will be very slow indeed. Some people have found that the Console just never populates and they are left with just a blue box. The PVConnect add-in also appears to do a similar system slowdown and again people have ended up just removing it, or leaving the system for a couple of days doing nothing else apart from it's indexing.

As Ken says, unless WHS has performed the operation, then it won't 'see' any other files as duplicated ones on a backup disk.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for the comments.  Do you know if Avast is gentler on the CPU cycles than McAfee?  If not, do you have a recommendation for anti-virus protection?

Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

I've had Avast running on a production server and 8 Clients's since it's beta with no great prblems. Currently, even when 'doing it's thing', updating etc., it only uses less than a couple of percentage points of an Opteron 3400+ CPU.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:11 PM
  • This is a wrap-up to my initial posting regarding the slow screens.  I had incremental improvements by giving the server time to do housekeeping and by removing McAfee.  However the problem was finally and totally resolved by removing PVConnect.  The improvement was immediate and long-lasting.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:45 PM