This copy of Windows is not genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a machine brought in from a school lab to replace a case fan. When trying to do Windows updates or install Windows Defender I get a message stating that this copy of Windows is not genuine. It further says that "this product key was reported stolen or lost." I've been through tech support with no satisfaction. The COA is on the back of the machine and the product key was verified in the machine by "Magical Jelly Beans." A technician sent me here stating that this was the only place the issue could be resolved.

Below is what was returned from the http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KGBF3-3HGWF-KYYWQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: SF/cH5HZmz+JOwTDfVMeIXw5ATA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2249945-97645
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: PCDCD78
    ID: cebb5d34-da5f-4e5e-810c-bc209cf4d33a
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>cebb5d34-da5f-4e5e-810c-bc209cf4d33a</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-KYYWQ</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2249945-97645</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1647371527-1690843657-1110412475</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>D865GBF_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>BF86510A.86A.0060.P16.0404121116</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040412000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D08B38E701848043</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:58 PM

Answers

• Yes it does. The key on the COA matches the one in the system. I've gone through several Microsoft technicians that have verified that apparantly we have a legitimate copy of Wndows XP Pro but they can't help me.

The last technician said that it was not possible to help through their support line. I could only get help through email. To do that I was to go to this site and exhaust all the resource here until I got an email access to tech support to fix the problem. That sounded bogus.

The whole process seemed like a great big run-around. I've spent over 2 1/2 hours on the phone with tech support being shuttled from one deprtment to another. The only technician that seemed willing to help was Mark but while he was consulting with another department the phone call was cut off. Maybe it was coincidence,who knows? I've worked with tech support from many other companies and this seemed the poorest example I've seen so far. The whole process is highly compartmentalized with none of them having a clear idea as to who should be working with what.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:22 PM
  • I apologize for the less than satisfactory support experience you have encountered and can assure you this is not indicative of our customer support. I would like to presonally follow-up on this support incident. If you could provide me with the case number I will look at it and provide some additional info in the case itself.

I look forward to your response and trust we will be able to provide a resolution shortly.

thanks

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 5:45 AM

All replies

• Magical Jelly Beans? Doesn't sound good...  I think MS will replace the key if you can prove its legit.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006 7:38 PM
  • christed:

Does that product key above match your COA sticker?

Thursday, May 25, 2006 12:14 AM
  • Yes it does. The key on the COA matches the one in the system. I've gone through several Microsoft technicians that have verified that apparantly we have a legitimate copy of Wndows XP Pro but they can't help me.

The last technician said that it was not possible to help through their support line. I could only get help through email. To do that I was to go to this site and exhaust all the resource here until I got an email access to tech support to fix the problem. That sounded bogus.

The whole process seemed like a great big run-around. I've spent over 2 1/2 hours on the phone with tech support being shuttled from one deprtment to another. The only technician that seemed willing to help was Mark but while he was consulting with another department the phone call was cut off. Maybe it was coincidence,who knows? I've worked with tech support from many other companies and this seemed the poorest example I've seen so far. The whole process is highly compartmentalized with none of them having a clear idea as to who should be working with what.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:22 PM
  • I apologize for the less than satisfactory support experience you have encountered and can assure you this is not indicative of our customer support. I would like to presonally follow-up on this support incident. If you could provide me with the case number I will look at it and provide some additional info in the case itself.

I look forward to your response and trust we will be able to provide a resolution shortly.

thanks

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 5:45 AM
  • The case number was SRX060523605082. We couldn't wait for Microsoft to get it's act together. The down time was causing problems. We ended up having to buy a volume license so that we could get the machine running. The other option was to format the drive but we would have lost valuble data and programs in the process. While not exactly koshe, the volume license should be legal since we had already purchased the OEM license.
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:14 PM