New user (confused) RRS feed

• Question

• I am brand new to synctoy and feel I am doing something wrong; or I don't understand how this works.  My impression of this product is that I can use it to back up my C drive.  Is that correct?

Plus I am not sure what the file name that I am told to assign to this.  What is its purpose?

Well here is what I am doing.  I plug in an external drive (where I want to back up my files.  I choose C;\ for the left drive and K;\ for the right drive.  Next I wasn't sure what option to pick (sync, echo..), so I picked echo.  Then I specivy a file???

Well when I ran this the first time it took over 2 and half hours.  When I tried it again, it took a similar amount of time.   I would have guess that the second time, it would only take minutes?

Please help

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:36 PM

All replies

• No its just to copy (Backup) your documents folder completely  or just several sub folder.

Not sure which option is best for you but pick sync it will delete the old version of the file and repace it with the latest but it copies both ways If you choose later  to use echo well thats your chose it explains what it will do to the file if you hover over the names    sync, echo, contribute

But you can copy (Backup) any folders on you C Drive if you want using a differnt folders Pair as they call it

If you do the whole C Drive yes it will take forever

• Edited by henry200956 Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I understand better.  What is purpose of the file that I have to specify?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:09 PM
  • not sure what your question is asking

Edit

I think you are asking whether to pick Sync ,Echo ,Contribute

This is refering to whether you want to copy files from Left folder (master) to Right folder (Slave)

Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.

• Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
    • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.

After understanding this I have choosen Echo as I only want to Backup the Left and not copy back to the left from the right folder if the right has been edited for some reason although I wouldnt edit it myself

Reading other Threads it appears that it is best to delete the folders and files in the Your backup Folder then create a New folder Pairs and recreate the Right Folder as a new folder sound a bit long winded but you will catch on as you go (another word delete your back ups and start again using Sync)

Reply if not want you are asking

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:18 AM
  • The last question it asks you is "Name your folder pair". This is just a friendly (to you) name to remind you what you are backing up. The way you have been using SyncToy you could use "The Whole C Drive", or "C Drive" or even just "C".

SyncToy is ONLY for backing up data. If you store all the files you work with in My Documents, then you can create a folder pair for My Documents. If you lose any af the files - for whatever reason - then you can plug in your backup drive and copy them back to your C drive. But it won't help you with any of your programs that have gone funny, or lost address books from Outlook, or that sort of thing. Not unless you really know what you are doing and back all these things up.

To set up a folder pair for My Documents, step 1 is to delete evrything on your K drive. Then create a folder on K called My Documents. Then Create a New Folder Pair, selecting C:My Documents for the left drive, K:My Documents for the right drive, set mode to Echo, and make the folder pair name My Documents.

The first time you run it it will copy EVERYTHING from C:My Documents to K:My Documents. When you run it again it will:

1) copy any new files you have added to C:My Documents to K:MY Documents

2) copy any files you have edited in C:MY Documents to K:My Documents, overwriting the existing copy

3) if you have deleted any files in C:My Documents it will delete them in K:My Documents

4) in fact, ALL changes you have made in C:My Documents will result in K:My Documents being changed to that K:My Documents is and exact copy of C:My Documents.

If you store your data in variuos places, then you do the same as above. but with all the folders, ceating a new folder pair for each folder you want to back up.

Does that help?

PS Working this way, you NEVER touch the files on K:.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  So, if I specify C:\ and K:\ for the other drive (which I did), then the whole C drive will get copied to K drive.  I did this and it took a long time (which makes sense).  Now, you are saying the next time I do that, only changes to the C drive will get copied over to K.  Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Correct it will copy ever change you make to C: Drive over to K: drive  but trust me there will be a lot of file changes due to C:\drive  containing lots of files which are edited every time you do something minor and when you surf the net etc ,so be prepared for this.  Thats why I only suggest you do you Documents but its your decision.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:08 AM