windows xp RRS feed

• Question

• I dont know where to ask this but maybe i can get an answer here. I am looking to buy Windows XP Pro. Which it is expensive new. I am a home user but i am planning to going into the IT and i figure get pro so maybe i can learn more about the system. I found some cheap ones on ebay, like one said it is a used copy of Xp pro, but it says includes the retail box and cd and license key. would it be legit? like meaning would Microsoft concider it ligit if it was used and i bought it to use?
    Monday, January 14, 2008 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hello ndowens,

I would highly recommened you not purchase Windows via ebay or any other auction website as it has been shown that up to 50% of Windows cds/licenses sold on such auction sites turn out to be counterfeit.  I would highly recommend purchasing any software from a reputible online retailer.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Greetings,

I can not confirm the validity or authenticity of the product as it could be the case it has never been opened or used but you just never know for a fact until you receive the product from the seller which is why we always recommend buying from a trusted online retailer or store where you can be certain that you are really buying what you want.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for all your help, i decided to buy windows xp home full from walmart.com, i was going to get pro but it is too high for me and i may not use all the features in pro so i got home.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:15 PM

All replies

• Is there anyone that can answer this?
    Monday, January 14, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Hello ndowens,

I would highly recommened you not purchase Windows via ebay or any other auction website as it has been shown that up to 50% of Windows cds/licenses sold on such auction sites turn out to be counterfeit.  I would highly recommend purchasing any software from a reputible online retailer.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:27 PM
  • So it would also be a bad idea to buy ones on ebay that are suppose to be brand new and never opened?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:34 AM
  • http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-XP-Pro-Professional-SEALED-FULL-RETAIL-VERSION_W0QQitemZ360013913636QQihZ023QQcategoryZ41888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    like that one, it says new and sealed
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:40 AM
  • Greetings,

I can not confirm the validity or authenticity of the product as it could be the case it has never been opened or used but you just never know for a fact until you receive the product from the seller which is why we always recommend buying from a trusted online retailer or store where you can be certain that you are really buying what you want.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for all your help, i decided to buy windows xp home full from walmart.com, i was going to get pro but it is too high for me and i may not use all the features in pro so i got home.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:15 PM