Error while removing drive. What to do? RRS feed

• Question

• One of my drives failed and WHS wouldn't boot completely so I had to disconnect the drive. It was not system drive.

So I can boot to WHS now, but when I try to remove the drive using the wizard, it gives the following error:

There was an unknown error while attempting to remove this disk. Try again or reboot WHS. I've don both but nothing works. How do I get rid of this drive?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:32 PM

All replies

• The drive is already physically disconnected?
    If so, the removal should work.
    If it does not, you can try to logon to your home server and delete the key for the offending drive in the registry (after exporting the reg key before) from
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks
    and the eventually still existing corresponding volume from
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes

(After doing so reboot. If the result is an error, import the exported .reg files again and reboot another time.)

Also read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to figure out, where missing data could be on the removed drive.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Thanks for your help. Yes, it is physically disconnected already. Will try what you said.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:11 PM