Looking for a generic web add-in RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm looking for a WHS add-in, that allows me to add any webpage as an add-in to the WHS console. Here's what I'm trying to do. Many devices on my network have their own web interface. I would like to add those web interfaces as add-ins to the WHS console, so I can access them securly from anywhere using the WHS remote access. Does something like this exist already. It seems simple enough. All it really needs to do is expose IE as an add-in and allow to configure the URL it should point to.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:31 AM

Answers

• Super,

If I understand you correctly on how this works;  uTorrent has a web GUI that is web based too. It is IP or URL directed. I guess if there was a way to open a mini IE inside Console and go to it.  Hmmmm....

Option #1:
    Hey,
    maybe you can do it with Advanced Admin Console add-in????  THere was a recent update that gives a little more room for customization to add links for applications and such.  I think I'll try it and see.

UPDATE: Yep it works! First, install the add-in. I have the WHS IE warning page link saved to my WHS desk top, so I added it.  When I click it a mini IE session opens inside Console with the warning page! So, it should work.

You would make/save a seperate IE link for each program you want to control. Save it to a share or somewhere in WHS. Then add each IE link through Advanced Admin Console add-in. Heck, you could do that with any web page or an entire web link folder. So you could log in remotely from anywhere... I gotta stop typing and go tinker with this some more...

Here's the link to the add-in. version 0.3.2.0 final.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• Super,

If I understand you correctly on how this works;  uTorrent has a web GUI that is web based too. It is IP or URL directed. I guess if there was a way to open a mini IE inside Console and go to it.  Hmmmm....

Option #1:
    Hey,
    maybe you can do it with Advanced Admin Console add-in????  THere was a recent update that gives a little more room for customization to add links for applications and such.  I think I'll try it and see.

UPDATE: Yep it works! First, install the add-in. I have the WHS IE warning page link saved to my WHS desk top, so I added it.  When I click it a mini IE session opens inside Console with the warning page! So, it should work.

You would make/save a seperate IE link for each program you want to control. Save it to a share or somewhere in WHS. Then add each IE link through Advanced Admin Console add-in. Heck, you could do that with any web page or an entire web link folder. So you could log in remotely from anywhere... I gotta stop typing and go tinker with this some more...

Here's the link to the add-in. version 0.3.2.0 final.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Super,

Now you mentioned doing this in Console and via Remote.  My post above would add it to console and you'd have that on a network pc.  Now, by default, when you remote into WHS via your www.XXXX.homeserver.com, you can normally log into the WHS Console. Right?

How 'bout I show you a cool way to tweak WHS so when you remote into WHS via your www.xxxx.homeserver.com address you see your WHS Desktop? No conosole and no need to set up an add-in.  This is something that Philip Churchill turned me on to last year:

****Make a copy of your rdpload.aspx file just in case you mess up the original******

Option #2

When accessing the Server after logging into the web interface (”Remote Access to Windows Home Server Console”, then “Connect to your Home Server”), you only get the Windows Home Server Console, and not the full Home Server Desktop. The good news is that this can be easily changed.

On the server, open C:\Inetpub\Remote\rdpload.aspx in Notepad and locate the following two lines:

MsRdpClient.SecuredSettings.StartProgram = "HomeServerConsole.exe -b"; (this is on one line)

and

MsRdpClient.SecuredSettings.WorkDir = "<%= WorkDir %>";

These tell the browser based RDP session to use HomeServerConsole.exe as the “shell”, with a command line parameter to tell it not to show the Minimize and Exit buttons.

Replace the two lines, above, with the following two lines:

MsRdpClient.SecuredSettings.StartProgram = "Explorer.exe";

and

MsRdpClient.SecuredSettings.WorkDir = "c:\\Windows";

This tells the RDP session to use explorer.exe as the “Shell”, which it normally is anyway.

Now, when you access your Windows Home Server using the web interface, you’ll see the standard Desktop inside your browser window.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Super,

Option #3:

Install Whiist add-in to create web links on your Private Home page. You have to log into your remote web access to see these links. So you can make them link to anywhere...

Get Whiist here.

One or all three options should cover ya.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:37 AM
  • judgeschambers,

Thanks a bunch for all the tips. I'll tinker around with them.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:11 AM
  • Super,

Good to hear. One or all ought to do the trick.

If I answered your questions, please tick the "yes" box for "Was this post helpful?"
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:03 PM
  • On a different note, when I start the console it always shows that console web page in IE or Firefox (whichever is set as the default browser. Is there any way to turn that off so it doesn't start a browser at all?
    Monday, April 14, 2008 2:11 AM
  • AZJerry1

If I understand you correctly, when you log into the Desktop of WHS it automatically opens IE with the big WARNING page, right?  If you want to remove that so it does not open at all....that is easy to fix and is the first thing I do on a fresh install.

You must log into the desktop via Remote Destop or via your www.xxxx.homeserver.com or directly.  The IE Log On Warning page is located in the StartUp folder, which is why it pops open when you log in.  Mouse over to: Start, All Programs and then up to the StartUp folder. In that folder you should see the Log On Warning and Windows Desktop Search.

From there you can either drag the Log On Warning icon out of the folder to the desktop or right click and delete it. I usually drag it to the desktop. After that, you will not get that anoying browser opening at log on again.  Just don't delet the Desktop Search....WHS needs that to work propery.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Thanks Paul. That did the trick.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:34 PM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    Thanks Paul. That did the trick.

Which method did you choose?
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:24 AM
  • I removed the link from the startup folder. Voila, no more browser.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:59 PM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    I removed the link from the startup folder. Voila, no more browser.

Azjerry1,

LOL, sorry I mixed you up with Supperswiss. Good, glad that fixed your problem. It's the first thing I do to get rid of the anoying pop up browser. Please  mark my thread as "Answered."

Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:52 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
     azjerry1 wrote:
    I removed the link from the startup folder. Voila, no more browser.

Azjerry1,

LOL, sorry I mixed you up with Supperswiss. Good, glad that fixed your problem. It's the first thing I do to get rid of the anoying pop up browser. Please  mark my thread as "Answered."

Thanks.

I'm using the the Advanced Console. I also changed the .aspx page to get the desktop instead of the console when remoting into the server. That's a nice trick.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:56 PM
  • Yeah, that .aspx trick is slick ain't it?  Glad it worked out.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:28 AM