Lost Windows XP CD, still have the registration information on a sticker, need to reinstall windows, what can I do? RRS feed

• Question

• How are you?

I have 2 PC's, both with Windows XP Home Edition, OEM. Both the computers have their unique registration information sticker on a sticker on the bottom of the computer.

I lost the Windows XP Disc that came with one of my computers, and I need to format the hard drive and reinstall windows XP for that computer. The good thing is that I still have the Windows XP Disc that came with the other computer.

Can I use that Disc on the computer that I need to format? If yes, is there something specific I need to do in order to use it?

Thank you for your help. If there is any additional information you need I'll be happy to provide it.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• Phil,

Your best option would be to contact the Technical support for the computer that you lost the OEM disk. Ask them to send you the Recovery Media disc.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 30, 2009 5:19 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• What are the specific make and model numbers of your two computers?
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Phil,

Your best option would be to contact the Technical support for the computer that you lost the OEM disk. Ask them to send you the Recovery Media disc.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 30, 2009 5:19 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 5:19 PM
  • one of them is an acer travelmate 4000 and the other is a thinkpad T23

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:02 AM
  • is there any way to do this without paying anything?
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Hello Philhaj,

It's very likely that the "foreign" recovery CD will immediately halt once it sees that you are trying to install it onto a computer that is not "of its kind."
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Phil,

As I previously mentioned the best option is contacting your manufacturer and request them to dispatch you the Recovery Media Disc for your particular model. There may be a minimal charge but you would need to inquire with them. The other option is you could pay $149.95 each for the WGA Kit which would have been offered to you @ the time you failed validation. This is offered at roughly half the retail cost of Windows XP.

Hopefully this will help you more.

Stephen
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:16 PM
  • ok so finally i borrowed an old windows XP home edition OEM CD from a friend and installed it on my PC, when the activation didn't work i called the Windows 1-800 number free of charge and they gave me a code to activate windows. Then all i had to do was download the drivers off the internet and now i'm good to go
    • Proposed as answer by Banger696 Monday, May 11, 2009 12:42 AM
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 12:08 AM
  • ok so finally i borrowed an old windows XP home edition OEM CD from a friend and installed it on my PC, when the activation didn't work i called the Windows 1-800 number free of charge and they gave me a code to activate windows. Then all i had to do was download the drivers off the internet and now i'm good to go

Thank you very much Philhaj, Your a top bloke, i voted for you, WELL DONE MATE. YABBA DABBA DOOOOO. YOU JUST POSTED THE BEST ADVICE I HAVE SEEN ON HERE.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:52 PM

• glad i could help

Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:49 PM