Sync Framework and Windows 8 Metro / WinRT RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone working on converting the Sync Framework to WinRT?

I have been for a few days.  I'm concerned about the file locking.  There's no way to lock the cache in WinRT due to the "sandbox" limitations.  The Synch Framework uses open streams to lock the cache. 

Is this absolutely required if you're synchronizing calls occur in sequence?

I've removed the multi-threaded model that used AsyncOperation entirely because I don't need it.

There's also a Timer job that runs and removes duplicate files.  I'm not sure why this is necessary also.

Michael

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sync Framework or Sync Framework Toolkit you mean?
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Sync Framework Toolkit. Sorry.

Michael

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Webermi, I was wondering whether you had made any progress on porting the SF toolkit to WinRT. 

I'm asking this because I'm looking into syncing data from a server to my WinRT app and so far I've yet to find anything compatible.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:08 PM
  • out of curiousity, what storage are you looking at using for WinRT? SqlLite, Windows Storage, etc????
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:56 AM
  • out of curiousity, what storage are you looking at using for WinRT? SqlLite, Windows Storage, etc????
    I'm currently using SQLite.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:06 AM
  • I saw on a Build presentation  http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2012/3-120. 

That will be a sync provider for WinRT, can we know more info about this?

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:12 PM
  • afaik, the sample is not from the Sync Fx team. but that sample uses the Sync Framework Toolkit, modified to work on WinRT and SQLLite.
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:33 AM
  • Any idea when they will release, I don't need a certain date, just  Q4-2012, Q1-2013, other?
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Hi June,

Thanks for the information.

Does they are going to release the new toolkit to support WinRt and Windows 8? Or it is already available?

I watch the video and thought to have look at the toolkit but the Sync Framework 4.0 October 2010 CTP was not available.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:59 AM
  • by Sync Fx CTP 4, he actually meant the Sync Framework Toolkit.

afaik, they're going to release a "sample" that works with SQLLite on WinRT. am assuming the same source code from toolkit that's modified to work on WinRT. Not necessarily releasing a new version of the toolkit itself.

you can use the existing Sync Fx or Sync Toolkit on Windows 8, just not on WinRT. 

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Does the Sync Framework Toolkit work with windows phone 8 with sql server CE (not SQLite)?

I downloaded the toolkit and out of the box it was unable to compile in VS 2012...

If not, then what would be the recommended solution to synchronizing data from a local windows phone 8 DB to a remote sql server db?

• Edited by MikeRowlands Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:37 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:36 PM
  • the toolkit needs some changes to compile in .NET 4.5.

the toolkit itself contains a sample SQL CE sync provider. you can use that as a starting point to write a new one that works with WP8.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:10 PM
  • just did a blog post on this, you might want to check it out http://jtabadero.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/synchronizing-winrtsqlite-using-sync-framework-toolkit/

would appreciate feedback...

cheers,

junet

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:12 PM
  • I have made a CodePlex sample based on Sync Fx Toolkit for WinRT and SQLite

You can check explanations here : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mim/archive/2013/02/19/synchronization-with-sqlite-on-winrt.aspx

And the Codeplex project : https://syncwinrt.codeplex.com/

It's a sample, provided as is. If you have any questios, you can post here or on Codeplex

Sébastien Pertus. Bewise

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:50 PM