none
No email notification RRS feed

• Question

• I posted an issue in the C# general forum.  2 or 3 persons answered my issue but I never received an email notification.  I usually do.  It may have been because I checked the forum and marked the question as answered before the email routine kicked in.  But just to be sure, I am posting this issue.

I am using IE 8 and Vista.

wrl
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:18 AM

Answers

• I checked mysetting as suggested by Olaf.  As with Kara, [Always Alert Me By Default] was checked.  However there is a [Configure Alerts] link next to it.  When I clicked on it, it stated I recently changed my email address from X to Y (x,y represent actual email addresses).  There was a another link to send the verification email.

When I clicked on that link, I was taken to a screen that stated my email address had not been verified.  When I clicked the link to verify my email address, I was taken to a screen that said my email address could not be verified at this time.  However I was able to click on a link to have my alert sent by other methods.  When I did this, I was taken to a page that stated by alerts had been suspended but are now reactivated.

So I should get an alert when I post this unless posting to your own thread will not create an alert.  In that case, I hope someone replies to this.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Wait there is more.  When at the MS Forums home page and signed in, click on the my alerts links

This takes you to a screen showing all your alerts/threads.  At the top the of the page under the Ask a Question box, is a title: My Alerts and there is another link:  Configure Alerts. 

Clicking on that link takes you to the Windows Live Alerts page where you will see the link: Your Alerts

Clicking on that link show the forums you are subcribed to and an [edit deliver link] for each forum.

Clicking on this link takes you to a page where you can choose from Messenger, Email, or Mobile device.  Messenger is checked by default and is apparently required.  Email is not available to be checked but there is that same link [verify your email addresss].

Again, clicking this give me this message:

Your e-mail address cannot be verified at this time. Please try again later. If you continue having problems, please check your e-mail inbox for a message from Windows Live ID

So where is the Administrator of MS Forums and why can't he or she fix this problem?????????????????????  I am continuing to have this problem since September 15th 2009.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Finally there is more.  I downloaded Windows Live Messenger.  Under the File dropdown is the Verify My Email option.  I did that and got a message from Windows Live Team with the instructions to verify my email.  That was succesful.  Under [edit delivery] (described above) link, the check box for email delivery was still disabled but I was able to click on the [Verify Your Email Address] link and have another email sent from the Windows Live Team.  Again, I verified my email address.

But I had to clear the cache and re-login to see that the email delivery option checked.  Now I wait for an alert.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• We've been experiencing Intermittent issues with Live Alerts. We're still working on the problem unfortunately no ETA on exact fix.
    Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Same problem, dont have emails, but have alerts on messenger when someone response. 
    André Lage Microsoft SharePoint and CRM Consultant
    Blog:http://aaclage.blogspot.com
    Codeplex:http://spupload.codeplex.com/http://simplecamlsearch.codeplex.com/
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Still no fix?  I would have responed earlier but I didn't get an email notification. :)
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Have fix my problem, What happen...., when i manage email on hotmail, by some reason i put  email as spam and i dont recive more, so to turn on for recive, i add a email "Windows Live Alerts from Microsoft Community Forums" as spam then i select email as "this is not spam" and now i recive emails.... 

yap, just simple like that... 

André Lage Microsoft SharePoint and CRM Consultant
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Thanks Andre.

As a follow-up to this. We plan to have a fix on November that re-sends notifications in an event that the inital sent notification failed. Most likely in our November release (end of November).
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:42 AM
  • I am still not getting emails.  The email on my account changed but it is the correct email.  Also, I manage my post office and the domain microsoft.com is identified as a friendly domain thus no spam filitering is applied.

And if it were, I would see the emails on my mail server in the spam folder.

WRL
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:03 AM
  • I am still not receiving alert notifications.  Has this problems been resolved.  Does the forum have a different email for me than is on my profile.  This all started when I renewed my MSDN subscription in June via a 3rd party.

WRL
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for reporting. We're releasing an update to Forums today which allows alerts to be resent in an event the inital sent failed. Which we've been having in the past when making a call to the alerts service. Once the release is done (~roughly 5 to 5:30 PM - PST), please monitor a day or 2. We're queuing alerts now so should get alerts. My suggestion would also unsubscibe and re-subscibe to a thread, this way, initial sign-up subscriptsions will be sent.

THanks.

Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Don,

Still not getting emails.  Is there a way to check to see what email address you are using?  I have a feeling it is not the same as the one in my profile?

WRL
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:46 PM
  • I am also experiencing same problem, I cant even  see my recent activities updated, its very difficult to get along with previous threads I have participated in.

Arjun Paudel
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Same.
    Exactly the same.
    I open a thread here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/microsoftanswersmoderatormvpforum/thread/b9a54556-2120-464e-8de7-21cf15c5860f

But , at the moments point are absolutely blocked and no alerts....
    That's since long (more or less 5 days).

Franco Leuzzi - Microsoft ® MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:38 PM
  • I have the same problem. Do you have any solution?

-----------------------------------

I like последние новости only
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:35 AM
  • I have the same problem, do you have any solution?

---------------------------------------------------------
    Sandoe - новости дня
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:39 AM
  • From what I can say, it's more of a game of chance whether you get an alert or not. For instance, I never seem to get alerts for the EntityFramework forum. For the WPF forum, I may or may not receive alerts. FWIW - this applies to both e-mail alerts and Messenger-alerts. That is, I see alerts in messenger before they appear in my inbox; if I get a messenger-alert though, the e-mail will follow soon after. It sure looks like the servers responsible for this cannot handle the load imposed on them (and be it that alerts are sent through SQLS Notification Services or through the website's code).

This is sooooooo obnoxious!
    Cheers,
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:27 PM
  • I am also not receiving alerts! What is the issue Microsoft? Perhaps we should just go back to NNTP?

Waiting for it to work...

Marcus Rodgers
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Hi, I like to participate in the Office Discussion Groups, mainly Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint. My reply email address is listed on my profile, but I haven't received any reply notification emails in months. Can you please help me?

Thank you.

Kara
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Hi Kara,

look at the top right of your browser window - there, click the My Settings link. Check your settings there, make sure you tick Always Alert Me By Default When I Post . You'll probably also want to click the Configure Alerts link that you'll see there.

Cheers,
    Olaf
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks for your reply. "Always Alert Me By Defaut..." is already checked. I'm actually more concerned about this problem in the Office Discussion Groups, not the forum. 

(By the way, I didn't get an email about your above reply either . I had to check back in the forum.)

Kara
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Hi Kara,

sorry, I thought you were actually asking how what you need to do to receive alerts in the first place. I guess you're in the same boat with the rest of the posters in this thread - it seems to be recurring nuisance that alerts aren't working. Presently, I'm receiving most (!) of them, including one for both your two posts. Also, during the last couple of days, the alerts have been sent instantly; sometimes it takes as much as 4 hours if I receive them.
    Cheers,
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:00 AM
  • I checked mysetting as suggested by Olaf.  As with Kara, [Always Alert Me By Default] was checked.  However there is a [Configure Alerts] link next to it.  When I clicked on it, it stated I recently changed my email address from X to Y (x,y represent actual email addresses).  There was a another link to send the verification email.

When I clicked on that link, I was taken to a screen that stated my email address had not been verified.  When I clicked the link to verify my email address, I was taken to a screen that said my email address could not be verified at this time.  However I was able to click on a link to have my alert sent by other methods.  When I did this, I was taken to a page that stated by alerts had been suspended but are now reactivated.

So I should get an alert when I post this unless posting to your own thread will not create an alert.  In that case, I hope someone replies to this.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Wait there is more.  When at the MS Forums home page and signed in, click on the my alerts links

This takes you to a screen showing all your alerts/threads.  At the top the of the page under the Ask a Question box, is a title: My Alerts and there is another link:  Configure Alerts. 

Clicking on that link takes you to the Windows Live Alerts page where you will see the link: Your Alerts

Clicking on that link show the forums you are subcribed to and an [edit deliver link] for each forum.

Clicking on this link takes you to a page where you can choose from Messenger, Email, or Mobile device.  Messenger is checked by default and is apparently required.  Email is not available to be checked but there is that same link [verify your email addresss].

Again, clicking this give me this message:

Your e-mail address cannot be verified at this time. Please try again later. If you continue having problems, please check your e-mail inbox for a message from Windows Live ID

So where is the Administrator of MS Forums and why can't he or she fix this problem?????????????????????  I am continuing to have this problem since September 15th 2009.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Finally there is more.  I downloaded Windows Live Messenger.  Under the File dropdown is the Verify My Email option.  I did that and got a message from Windows Live Team with the instructions to verify my email.  That was succesful.  Under [edit delivery] (described above) link, the check box for email delivery was still disabled but I was able to click on the [Verify Your Email Address] link and have another email sent from the Windows Live Team.  Again, I verified my email address.

But I had to clear the cache and re-login to see that the email delivery option checked.  Now I wait for an alert.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Alright - here's a reply. Hopefully you now do get an alert. :-)
    Cheers,
    Olaf
    http://blogs.intuidev.com
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Olaf,

Thank you, I did indeed get it.  So it looks like MS changed the way it handles MSDN email accounts by integrating it with Windows Live.  How come the administrator of this forum doesn't know to explain this?  (rhetorical question)

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hi Guys, is this a problem again. I tired resending/confirming 3 times now and I am not getting the e-mail to confirm. I checked off the option to get notified and now I can check it back on until I get confirmed.

Oh well...

Thanks

Don

Don Williams
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Don,

Here is a test reply.  The two emails above by me is what it took for me to get it fixed.  Hopw you automatically get this.

WhiskeyRomeoLima
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:35 PM
  • >I tired resending/confirming 3 times now and I am not
    >getting the e-mail to confirm.

Same issue here, Since I have not been getting *any* Alerts
    from threads I have marked as "Alert Me" in over a week, I
    reentered my email address in my Settings in the hope that
    this might "wake up" or reset the notifications. The web
    page showed a message saying that I had to "verify the
    confirmation email recently sent" - but I did not receive
    *any* such email message. I clicked on "Resend" - same
    result: no confirmation email has been received. Last
    attempt to get a resend was around twelve hours ago.

- Wayne
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Hello,

In My alerts, i have configured the forums preferences with check Always Alert Me By Default When I Post. But i am receiving no alerts thru e-mails which is deceiving. Luckily, i am posting in a few number of forums and i can retrieve the threads i am following.Annoying, disturbing and a way to lose time which i would prefer to use to help posters. Since a week, i am noting every thread where i am posting , at the bottom  of the box i am typing my post, i verify that the checkbox labelled "Alert me when someone responds to this post" is checked, but no received e-mails. I am in despair and i have seen post of other moderators ( in the SQL Server Forums ) facing the same problem. I am not sure but i i have the feeling that it is a random problem ( and i admit easily that it is the kind of problems which is difficult to reproduce and to rectify for the Team managing the Forums ).

So , according to me, this problem is not yet solved.

If you need any more informations, don't hesitate to ask them.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Luckily, i am posting in a few number of forums and i can retrieve the threads i am following.

Do you post in batches?  As long as you keep track of when you  started  your last batch all you have to do is go back in My Threads (ordered by last post) to when that was and see if the Last Reply poster is someone other than you.  Then that would represent an "alert" for that thread.  You could open the thread using the Last Reply link but have to check if that "alert" really indicated more than one post.  I just realized that another My Profile setting that this procedure depends on is to read threads unthreaded; e.g. then to find previous posts represented by the same "alert" all you need to do is scroll up.

FWIW works for me.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:16 AM
  • After posting to thread, open only this thread in new window of browser and check if Alerts Ring is set to "Alert Me" - it means that you must see option "Remove Alert" (it is not randomly turn on even if you check checkbox to receive answers in writing response).
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:49 PM
  • For some time there is a issue with emails,

Every time i select a answer to receive emails the email option image dont appear in "My threads" and dont receive emails...

I select in my Settings the "Configure Alerts" to have emails and dont work...

Can you confirm this is a general problem or i am the only one with this problem...

André Lage Microsoft SharePoint, CRM and Sybase Consultant
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:18 AM