Suddenly my Windows Professional key is invalid after over a year? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using my current laptop with the Windows XP Professional key for over a year and it suddenly invalidates today? What is going on?

Windows XP Pro SP3

Registered to: 55274-640-8834005-23960

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hello Korisovra,

The current installation of Windows XP Professional on your computer is a nongenuine volume licensing installation.  The product key used has a geo block applied, meaning that the rightful owner of the volume license has agreed to allow Microsoft to curb the unautorized, nongenuine use of its volume license in geographic areas where the license holder will not be legitimately using the product key.

Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Cached Validation Code: N/AWindows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23960
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {B59FAB26-4DA5-44E4-87B4-606DCE33B136}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

If your computer has a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for Windows XP Professional, please try the Product Key Updater to change the current nongenuine key to the presumably genuine key printed on the CoA:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key

Post back and let us know how you did :-)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:15 PM

All replies

• Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a reply to this post.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Monday, March 14, 2011 4:20 PM
  • 1. It's Windows Professional

2: Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Cached Validation Code: N/AWindows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\Korisovra\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Prompt

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Prompt

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B59FAB26-4DA5-44E4-87B4-606DCE33B136}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23960</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-796845957-2147120821-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Magnell Associates, Inc. </Manufacturer><Model>MS-1011</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A1011SMS V1.70 09/28/05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050928000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>14703507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Tokyo Standard Time(GMT+09:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 18EEA:MAGNELL ASSOCIATE INC|1FF70:MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

5: It's telling me that my software may be software counterfitting when I purchased the Windows Pro CD and Product Key in un-opened package well over a year ago. It's only been used on my current laptop and has never had a problem prior to the other day.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Hello Korisovra,

The current installation of Windows XP Professional on your computer is a nongenuine volume licensing installation.  The product key used has a geo block applied, meaning that the rightful owner of the volume license has agreed to allow Microsoft to curb the unautorized, nongenuine use of its volume license in geographic areas where the license holder will not be legitimately using the product key.

If your computer has a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for Windows XP Professional, please try the Product Key Updater to change the current nongenuine key to the presumably genuine key printed on the CoA:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key

Post back and let us know how you did :-)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:15 PM
  • I moved to Japan recently and as I can't read Japanese, the copy of Windows is for the States. As for the COA on the laptop, the only COA on it now is the one I bought as the laptop was used when I bought it and the COA was scratched out. The tool said the WGA key was invalid for this laptop. Despite the fact that I put in a new hard drive and used the Pro disk that came with the disk only. 
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Hello Korisovra,

OK, my understanding of your situation is that the computer did have a CoA at one time, but when you bought it, the CoA had been scratched off of the computer, and the disc that came with the computer was by itself and did not have a CoA with it.

Unfortunately, based on the available information and the present circumstances, there is only one inexpensive way that I can think of to get your computer back to being Genuine, and that would be to somehow acquire a recovery disc from the computer manufacturer, Magnell Associates.  According to an internet search, they are listed as being located in City Of Industry, California.  If you could acquire the correct recovey disc, it would see the data that is still in the BIOS needed for SLP activation, and it should result in a genuine installation of Windows on this computer.

All other options for putting genuine Windows onto this computer involve the purchase of a Windows license.  If the computer is capable of running Windows 7, you can consider the offer you may be seeing for purchasing a WGA Kit (which is a Windows 7 license) directly from Microsoft.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:54 AM
  • When I bought the laptop, it didn't have a hard drive, any disks, and no COA. So I put a hard drive in it, bought Windows Professional, and loaded it onto the hard drive myself. I bought the disk in an un-opened container, with an un-used COA and installed it onto this laptop. So precisely why is this suddenly not a valid solution?
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:43 AM
  • 1) Because the Key is being used outside its allowed geographic location (presuman=bly the US)

2) because Volume Licenses cannot be legally sold at retail. They can only be bought in bulk from authorised distributors, and not in the retail market.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Hello Korisovra,

As Noel posted, this is a volume license for Windows XP Pro.

Presumably the Windows Kit you purchased has these items:

1.  A genuine-looking hologrammed XP Pro installation disc.  The disc has "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC" printed in the upper left quadrant of the disc.

2.  A thin blue User's Guide Pamphlet for XP Pro.

3.  A CoA affixed to a peel off backing on the back of the pamphlet.

4.  The Product Key on the CoA is the same product key as reported by the mgadiag report (which you removed).

If so, then the Windows Kit you purchased was trying very hard to look like a systembuilder/OEM Windows Licensing Kit.  Unfortunately, what you purchased is a high quality counterfeit product---the bits on the disc are actually volume licensing bits and not OEM bits.

What are the clues to knowing this is a counterfeit product?

1.  The product key printed on the fake CoA should report as an OEM product key, but it is reporting as a blocked Volume Licensing key.

2.  The license type should be reporting as OEM, but it is reporting as Volume.

3.  Look very closely at the disc, is the hologram a label affixed to the top surface of the disc or is it embedded within the plastic of the disc?  A genuine disc would have the hologram embedded with the plastic of the disc---counterfeits have a very very thin label affixed to the top.

4.  Navigate to the \i386 folder on the disc and look for the setupp.ini file, which is a small text file with two sections.  Post the second section (it's only a couple of lines of text).  What we are looking for is the Pid value.  A genuine disc would have a Pid value with "OEM" at the end of the value, a counterfeit disc will have "270" or a number from "640" thru "649" at the end of the Pid value. 

Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:07 PM