Can't connect to "shared folders" in launchpad using windows home server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows home server 2011, fully updated as of tonight.  The problem is that i can not connect to the shared folders using the launchpad from my windows 7 machine wirelessly or wired.  The back up function works.  The dashboard function works.

I can ping the server from the laptop (win7) and vice versa.  Router is a cisco wireless router and configured normally.  I have baselined my home server twice. i have deleted and re-installed the connector many times.

Oddly enough the only machine i can get to connect to it is an ubuntu 12 box.  And unfortunately the connection was not all that great.

I can remote into whs 11 from the win7 machine. 

The problem seems to center around permissions.  I can't access the server from the launchpad nor the networking function in win7. Which is strange.  I have created an account for the win7 box with password. it is in the right user groups (share group).  Nothing indicates that it would not have permission.

Please Help.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:05 AM

Answers

• Thanks for responding to my post.  I actually solved my problem.  The issue was that "Clients for Microsoft Networks" (CMN) was not installed in my adapter.  Once I reinstalled it I was able to access the resources on my server.  So my problem is solved.

confused

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, August 17, 2012 7:22 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:26 PM

All replies

• Did you create your user via the server Dashboard or via the OS?

I read your post as the user being added by RDP'ing to the server and then using the server 2008 r2 user management. It also sounds as though you have tried give permissions the same way.

Users should be added the WHS 2011 via the Dashboard. Access to the various shares is also done via the dashboard not the OS. Any extra shares you need are also created via the same dashboard interface.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Thanks for responding to my post.  I actually solved my problem.  The issue was that "Clients for Microsoft Networks" (CMN) was not installed in my adapter.  Once I reinstalled it I was able to access the resources on my server.  So my problem is solved.

confused

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, August 17, 2012 7:22 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:26 PM