Backup settings for a circle RRS feed

• Question

• I set up my circle for both my husband's laptop and my desktop to back up to my external hard drive. I have had problems with this setup and I would like to change it so that his computer backs up to his external hard drive, and mine to mine. How do I delete the initial configuration so that I can start all over?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:51 AM

Answers

• Open OneCare on your PC which I assume is the hub PC.

Click on Change Settings and the backup tab.

It should show the plan for the Circle and also an entry for each of the 2 PCs.

Click on the button for change settings and then select the entry for "no centralized backup" and then click Save.

Now, configure backup for the PC you are on by creating a backup plan for just that PC, following the steps below specific to a single computer and repeat this on your husband's PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
      1. If you're creating a backup plan for the first time on a hub PC, on the Change backup settings screen, click Skip this step.

–or–

If you're creating a backup plan for the first time on a computer that's not a hub PC, click Next. Otherwise, click Change settings.

2. In the left column, click the computer that you want to create a backup plan for.
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
      1. If you haven't created a OneCare circle, on the Change backup settings screen, click Use an existing device.

–or–

If you've created a OneCare circle, click Change settings.

2. In the left column, click Backup plan for all PCs.
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
      1. Next to Where, click Select location or Change location.
      2. Select a backup location, and then click OK.
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 2:58 AM