Can't create *.mny file. I'm losing my mind! RRS feed

• Question

• Long time Money user.

Surface Pro 4 Windows 10

I can't create a *.mny file. Install Money, restore from backup, save to my documents. Enter password, Money crashes. I have search my hard drive for the *.mny file but it does not exist anywhere

I can still use Money but the file always opens "what ever number MS gives it today" .tmp.mbf. I have restore my file probably a thousand times since Money 98, I have never had this issue. Saving file in C:\Users\cjcon\Documents\My Money

I have try to run salvage but Money will always crash.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cindy

Cindy

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:06 AM

Answers

• My suggestion was not to rename the backups. Those incorporate a unique time-date stamp in the filename. I was referring to the Restore process at the "Name the Restored File" window. I was suggesting to not just click Restore, but first to Browse to documents, and fill in the filename box

You have probably seen my QIF notes, but here it is again:

========================

If you want to do the QIF export/import, first export all accounts to Loose QIF
     files, one at a time.  I would suggest this: start the name of the QIF file for the investment
     accounts with a number at-sign ('@'), and start the name of QIF files for the cash
     accounts associated with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
     1BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause the
     investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash account.  When
     the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify that you want to track the
     cash transactions.  Then specify that the cash transactions account for
     BrownInvestment was where the BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Create a new Money file with
    File->New->NewFile.
    Name it something like Try2017C.mny.

Click Next.

Select (*)I don't want to use a password.
    Next.
    On page titled "Add your accounts", click "Skip account setup." if you want to wait until the QIF import to create the accounts. Alternatively you could create empty accounts at this point, and then you will have those to choose from during the QIF import.
    On page titled "Congratulations" click Finish.

Then you could try your same import. Money should then ask about an account. Let Money create an account, and see what shows up.

To switch back to your regular file, Click File and select your real file from the list at the bottom of the drop-down list.

Then
     File->Import->RecoverAccounts using Ctrl+<click> to select each and all of the
     QIF files that you made. Make sure that you understand and follow this step. Then click Import.

Money should then ask about an account as the files are processed. Let Money create an account that you will provide the name for. Since you gave the QIF files meaningful names, you should know what to name the account. Since you started the filename for any investment accounts with a number, I expect them to come in first.

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:34 PM underscore was wrong
    • Marked as answer by cjconover Monday, April 17, 2017 7:41 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:20 PM

All replies

• Which version of Money are you installing and which region are you in?

See the second post in this forum, uninstall the version of Money you are using and install the appropriate version for your region.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:55 AM
  • Money Sunset US correct version is installed.

Cindy

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:45 AM
  • This may do it, or may not:

I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can do that by going to your Money install folder,
    right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Also put in the patched DLL described in the first post in this forum.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:02 AM
  • Nope didn't work. DLL patch is installed but still can't save or create a *.mny file. Thanks for the suggestion. Can still open and work in a temp file but that makes me way to nervous.

Cindy

Cindy

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Not sure is this helps but Money saves my working temp file here C:\Users\cjcon\AppData\Local\Temp

No matter where I try to save a mny file, I only get a *.tmp file

Cindy

• Edited by cjconover Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:19 AM
  • Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically in C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money* or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money*" ) to your
    Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of
    sample.mny and choose Open.  Does it open and work?
    If not, the problem is probably with your installation. In that case,
    reinstall Money.

If Sample.mny works, I suspect a problem with your
    file.  Hold (make a copy of) your backups in case you want to restore one that
    pre-dates the problem.  You can switch back to your file by clicking File, and
    selecting your regular file from the list at the bottom.

You can try a File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.  That is simple, but it
    probably will not solve this.  Then try I would try making a repaired version
    of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If it still does not work, try restoring a backup that pre-dates the problem.

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:41 AM
  • Sample file opens as should. Can't do either repair level. Factory reset laptop hoping that was the issue. Tried the file on another computer. At this point I am going to start trying backup files to see if I can find one that works. Not sure how far I have to go back because I just noticed this issue a few weeks ago. I have about 20 years worth of info in this file. I am dreading that I might have to export/import and so do not want to do that. I will keep you updated

Cindy

Cindy

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:48 AM
  • You can create the *.qif files, and save to other media, as a fall back in case your drive crashes.

When you restore files, don't accept the saved "My Money" name, but instead Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new meaningful unique name, such as "cjc20170122". I was thinking the number could be a date code for the date of the backup.

I would consider starting Money by right-clicking the launch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator.

When Money crashes, do you get an error message or other indication?

To search for Money files, try the following in a command window:

dir \*.mny /s

Friday, April 14, 2017 11:32 AM
  • I have already tried RunAsAdministrator. No go. I have went through my backups and it looks like all the files from the last 6 months on my tablet and jump drive are corrupt. I did find an old jump drive that had uncorrupt files but they are 5 years old. ugh! I have tried your suggestion to rename my backups and that works, when I restore them and try to rename them to save in my docs, Money crashed. I only get the general fault Money has encountered an error, etc. Nothing to help point me in the right direction. I have searched my tablet up one side and down the other no *.mny is being saved anywhere. I created a new empty file to test and that was saved correctly as a *.mny file in my docs. So I have come to the conclusion that my file and backups are corrupted beyond repair. So this weekend I am going to export all 20 years of data and import the accounts into a new file. Wish me luck. I will update this thread to let you know if it worked.

Cindy

Friday, April 14, 2017 5:51 PM
  • My suggestion was not to rename the backups. Those incorporate a unique time-date stamp in the filename. I was referring to the Restore process at the "Name the Restored File" window. I was suggesting to not just click Restore, but first to Browse to documents, and fill in the filename box

You have probably seen my QIF notes, but here it is again:

========================

If you want to do the QIF export/import, first export all accounts to Loose QIF
     files, one at a time.  I would suggest this: start the name of the QIF file for the investment
     accounts with a number at-sign ('@'), and start the name of QIF files for the cash
     accounts associated with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
     1BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause the
     investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash account.  When
     the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify that you want to track the
     cash transactions.  Then specify that the cash transactions account for
     BrownInvestment was where the BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Create a new Money file with
    File->New->NewFile.
    Name it something like Try2017C.mny.

Click Next.

Select (*)I don't want to use a password.
    Next.
    On page titled "Add your accounts", click "Skip account setup." if you want to wait until the QIF import to create the accounts. Alternatively you could create empty accounts at this point, and then you will have those to choose from during the QIF import.
    On page titled "Congratulations" click Finish.

Then you could try your same import. Money should then ask about an account. Let Money create an account, and see what shows up.

To switch back to your regular file, Click File and select your real file from the list at the bottom of the drop-down list.

Then
     File->Import->RecoverAccounts using Ctrl+<click> to select each and all of the
     QIF files that you made. Make sure that you understand and follow this step. Then click Import.

Money should then ask about an account as the files are processed. Let Money create an account that you will provide the name for. Since you gave the QIF files meaningful names, you should know what to name the account. Since you started the filename for any investment accounts with a number, I expect them to come in first.

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:34 PM underscore was wrong
    • Marked as answer by cjconover Monday, April 17, 2017 7:41 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:20 PM
  • "My suggestion was not to rename the backups. Those incorporate a unique time-date stamp in the filename. I was referring to the Restore process at the "Name the Restored File" window. I was suggesting to not just click Restore, but first to Browse to documents, and fill in the filename box"

Sorry, wasn't clear when I typed. Yes I am renaming restores per your suggestion and still not getting anywhere

Thanks for the hint on the investments. I didn't know about the "_". That should relieve multiple headaches.

Cindy

Friday, April 14, 2017 8:22 PM
  • I messed up. I had been thinking of the wrong character. Instead of an underscore, I have corrected the above to using a number, such as 0 or 1 or an at-sign ('@')... Sorry I caused confusion.

Maybe it does not actually matter, but I still suspect it might at times.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:09 PM
  • Cal the underscore sign worked also. Everything on the export/import worked perfectly. Thank you for the instructions. Its has been so long since I had to complete this procedure I would have forgotten about the proper way to name the investments.

Cindy

Monday, April 17, 2017 7:44 PM