track email yields: the text entered exceeds the maximum length RRS feed

All replies

• maybe you need to make the field larger than 200.  You'll need to identify the field that is the issue and increase the size of that field to fit what is in the e-mail body.  If this is happening for only one Contact then there is most likely something specific to that contact's e-mails that are a problem. 

As one test, you could resend one of the e-mails that is causing a problem to yourself but this time send it as text or rich text format and see if you still get the error. 

Regards, Donna

Friday, September 10, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thank you for your reply.

I actually tried setting the value to higher than 200 already- I went up to 450 but no help there.

How can I determine which field it is choking on?  The error message just calls it "the text entered". 

I have also tried increasing the size of every field in the email entity (of type nchar), also to no avail.

You mentioned a test regarding sending the email to myself, from myself:  What will this test show us as far as resolving the issue, and what would be the next steps towards resolution  a)if it tracks ok, b) if it fails to track with the same error message?

Thank you,

Oliver

Oliver
    Friday, September 10, 2010 7:09 PM
  • How can I determine which field it is choking on?  The error message just calls it "the text entered". 

Check the application log on the server and see if the field is identified in the error log.  If not, you can try turning Dev errors on, reproduce the issue and see if you receive more detail.

What will this test show us as far as resolving the issue,

I'm wondering if there are some hidden characters in the html format that are not visible.  Running the test by sending the e-mail to yourself in 'rich text' or 'text' format will strip out extra characters.  I'm just trying to narrow down the issue since I can't see the environment.  You don't have to do the test.  The better method is to try and find the field then you can determine the best solution for your environment.

Regards, Donna

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Thanks again Donna.  I have search around, but am unable to find instructins on how to "turn on Dev errors".  There is currently nothing being shown in the app log.

Could you please provide me with a link on how to configure the setting you are talking about?

Thanks,

Oliver

Oliver
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi Oliver,

The link I provided is to the article that has the CRMDiagTool download.  Download the diag tool on the CRM server and run the exe file.  The tool will open and you can make the appropriate selection from the drop down and then select the button to turn Dev Errors on.  Have everything in place to recreate the error because there will be a performance impact when you turn Dev Errors on.

Regards, Donna

Friday, September 10, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thank you for the clarification, I somehow missed your original link.

So, I downloaded the package, ran the exe (on the CRM server), selected "dynamics CRM server", and then turned on dev errors.

I then had the user recreate the problem, by trying to track the email again.

The user gets the same exact pop-up message, yet I find NO information about it in the application log.

I then turned off dev errors, because of the performance issues you metnioned.

What am I doing wrong?  What do you suggest as a next step?

Sorry to vent, but this is very frustrating: We are using MS products all around, exchange, crm, outlook, we have no special configurations or custiomizations yet we run into problems while performing the most basic of CRM functions (track email).  To even get an intelligable error message requires me to download special diagnostics tools, and then, the diagnostics don't work as expected.

Also, a possible clue:  Email Replies from our internal user, to the problematic contact, ARE tracked in CRM without error.

Thanks,

Oliver

Oliver
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:44 PM
  • You're welcome, and sorry this is taking so long to troubleshoot.  Sometimes it is challenging to troubleshoot issues that appear to be environmental, individualized, etc., in this type of exchange.  Thanks for bearing with us.

You may need to run the diag tool on the client machine and if that doesn't work then enable tracing on the client machine, using the method described in the KB I just provided, the Troubleshooting option in the CRM Outlook Client or the Diag Tool and then look at the log files generated for the error. 

Searching through log files can be challenging as well.  Stunnware has a good tool for this if needed.  It is called the CRM Trace File Viewer and you can find it on the Stunnware site.

My suspicion, based on the information you provided, is that the e-mail body or subject contains characters that are not visible to you.  However it could be a different field, not sure.  That suspicion is why I suggested the test of changing the e-mail to rich text or text as that will most likely strip out those extrac characters.  However, since you say that a response e-mail is tracked without issue, then I think this probably validates the assumption.

If this is taking too much time and causing frustration, you could consider opening a ticket with Microsoft Support and they will most likely be able to identify the issue much more quickly.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Hi Donna,

I tried running the diagnostic tool (the one I downloaded initially, at your suggestion) on the client machine: it generated an unhandled exception and crashed.

I then tried enabling tracing using the diagnostic program that's listed in the start menu on the client machine.  I enabled tracing and regereated the error.  However, I (and several other people-based on the comments on that article), am unable to find the trace file.  Where is the trace file located?  Is there a particular string or somthing I should search for in that trace file that will indicate what field is causing the problem?  I have yet to try the stunware you mentioned (I have no file to try it on).

I'm next going to try the article you linked that has me make reg changes, hopefully I'll find the info there.

I did find this error in the event app log on the client machine, when the error occured.  I don't think it sheds any light on what field is the problem though.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSCRMAddin
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5983
    Date:  9/16/2010
    Time:  3:37:53 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: S4I
    Description:
    An error occurred while promoting a Microsoft CRM e-mail message.  Restart Microsoft Outlook and try again. HR=0x80044331. Context=. Function=CMailItemHelper::HrPromoteMailItemInCrm. Line=1338.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

By the way, did you mean "INvalidates the assumption" (I would think so, as any special characters would be in the reply as well)

Thanks again for your help,

Oliver

Oliver
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Please see my responses below. 

Where is the trace file located

For tracing on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 client for Microsoft Office Outlook and for tracing on Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager, the trace log file is created in the following folder if you do not have Update Rollup 7 or a later cumulative update:

<var>DriveName</var>:\Documents and Settings\ InstallingUser \Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\Traces

For tracing on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 client for Microsoft Office Outlook and for tracing on Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager, the trace log file is created in the following folder if you have Update Rollup 7 or a later cumulative update installed:

<var>DriveName</var>:\ InstallingUser \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\Traces
    Is there a particular string or somthing I should search for in that trace file that will indicate what field is causing the problem
    I generally search for the word Error and then read through the lines close to that word for any clues.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi Donna,

thanks you for the swift reply!

Update:

I found the folder you indicated, but there were no files therin. 

Perhaps this is because we are using terminal server?

You mention "InstallingUser", and I did indeed run diagnostic when logged on as administrator, I checked on the trace check box, clicked save.

I then had the user, working on the same terminal server, track the email and generate the error.

I then unchecked the trace button, and clicked save again. Then closed diagnostic.

I checked both the administrator and user in question's folders, but niether had any files in the folders indicated.  (I also checked both of the version based file locations you have gave)

Thanks again,

Oliver

Oliver
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:40 PM
  • ahhh, terminal server, I think that changes things a bit.  Have a look at this post and see if it helps.  There are some recommendations in the post.  Having Terminal Server does add a layer of complexity.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/35543210/problems-with-ms-crm-40-on-terminal-server.aspx

http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2010/01/06/crm-4-0-and-windows-terminal-services-%E2%80%93-tips-and-tricks/

Regards, Donna

Friday, September 17, 2010 12:15 AM
  • Hey Oliver,

I am experiencing the exact same problem.  When i try to track an email from a certain contact, it gives me the error.  i tried re-sending this to myself and am able to track it from there, but that is not feesible to do everytime we receive an email from this contact.

Did you get your issue resolved? if you did, i would appreciate knowing how so i can resolve this issue on my system as well.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:51 PM