none
NEEDED: More Answerers

All replies

• A significant number of answerers are non-helpful

(that's a link, click it)

I would suggest that this post isn't exactly helpful either. I've read through all of your links (across your many threads and multiple accounts) and I understand your frustration, but there's no reason to immediately assume any new answerers would be useless.

To me, this looks like an attempt to increase the amount of helpful content and should be viewed as a good thing.

Don't retire TechNet!

Friday, August 16, 2013 3:49 PM
  • I actually had thought of nominating Mike Laughlin to be a moderator in this forum, if he is agreeable to it. He has only been in the forums since February, and is mostly in "The Scripting Guys" and the "PowerShell" forums, but he seems to frequent this forum and answers questions, even directing people to more appropriate forums or linking to similar discussions. He also seems to frequent some of the other "Using Forums" forums. I much appreciate his contributions.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I actually had thought of nominating Mike Laughlin to be a moderator in this forum, if he is agreeable to it. He has only been in the forums since February, and is mostly in "The Scripting Guys" and the "PowerShell" forums, but he seems to frequent this forum and answers questions, even directing people to more appropriate forums or linking to similar discussions. He also seems to frequent some of the other "Using Forums" forums. I much appreciate his contributions.

Thank you for the kind words Richard, I really do appreciate them. I'd certainly be willing to have a discussion.

Side note - this is one of those times that I'd really love if the forums allowed for PMs or some other form of contact. I definitely want to reply to this post, but I wish I didn't have to threadjack (any more than I already did in my earlier post).

Don't retire TechNet!

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:43 PM

Thank you for the kind words Richard, I really do appreciate them. I'd certainly be willing to have a discussion.

Side note - this is one of those times that I'd really love if the forums allowed for PMs or some other form of contact. I definitely want to reply to this post, but I wish I didn't have to threadjack (any more than I already did in my earlier post).

Don't retire TechNet!

Mike, would you like to be an Answerer in this forum?

If so, could you review the guidelines and let me know if you agree to them?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1059.forum-moderation-guide-managing-posts-and-threads-marking-answers.aspx#Guidance

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, August 16, 2013 10:03 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

Sure, thank you very much for the offer. I've read through the guidelines and they sound just fine to me.

One question though - do you know if I will be able to see who proposed an answer and when it was marked going forward? I think it might be a bit hard to keep track of everything without that info. I know that moderators can see it, but I'm not sure about Answerers.

EDIT: I just had a thought - I wonder if the bug that prevents me from unproposing an answer that I've proposed after refreshing the page will continue to be problematic..

Unproposing answer seems to hang (Watch out for the dancing alligator)

proposed answer can not be corrected by the proposer

EDIT2 (8/20): Good news, it appears that I can unpropose an answer after refreshing if I ever needed to do so. The problem still exists for me in every other forum though.

Don't retire TechNet!

Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Sure, thank you very much for the offer. I've read through the guidelines and they sound just fine to me.

One question though - do you know if I will be able to see who proposed an answer and when it was marked going forward? I think it might be a bit hard to keep track of everything without that info. I know that moderators can see it, but I'm not sure about Answerers.

EDIT: I just had a thought - I wonder if the bug that prevents me from unproposing an answer that I've proposed after refreshing the page will continue to be problematic..

Unproposing answer seems to hang (Watch out for the dancing alligator)

proposed answer can not be corrected by the proposer

Don't retire TechNet!

Done! Thanks for your help! And please propose and mark 7 days later.

Agreed and agreed. These need to get submitted (proposing hanging... although I think that's a general server issue, not a proposing issue) and the proposed answer cannot be un-proposed.... that needs to be resubmitted just to make sure they don't think it's no longer an issue after the upgrade.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:09 AM
    Owner
  • No, answerers don't see that info. I think this bug needs to be addressed ASAP as this is an important information.

BTW, I've been a moderator in that forum some time ago and I'd like to be a moderator again.

In addition, I'd like to be a moderator in Forum's Re-Design forum. Looks like there is a considerable amount off-topic threads in that forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:30 AM
  • No, answerers don't see that info. I think this bug needs to be addressed ASAP as this is an important information.

Ouch, that's definitely going to make this a little harder to keep track of. I was really hoping that I'd at least see this info on posts made after the change.

Don't retire TechNet!

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:20 PM

BTW, I've been a moderator in that forum some time ago and I'd like to be a moderator again.

In addition, I'd like to be a moderator in Forum's Re-Design forum. Looks like there is a considerable amount off-topic threads in that forum.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Do you have Bryant's email? You can request to him if he could make you a Mod in the Re-design forum to have you move threads to the correct forums.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:32 AM
    Owner

Ouch, that's definitely going to make this a little harder to keep track of. I was really hoping that I'd at least see this info on posts made after the change.

Don't retire TechNet!

You can't see who proposed something when you're an Answerer? That's a huge bug, because you need that info before you mark it! And marking is the whole point of being an answerer!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:33 AM
    Owner
  • I do have Bryant's email. I'll send him a link to this thread.

UPDATE. Bryant said that that forum is going to be retired soon and threads moved to appropriate forums, so no need for a moderator there.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:59 AM
  • I think this information was available to everyone before and it should remain visible along with who moved the thread and from where or who merged the thread, etc. Right now this information is only visible to moderators (and, I assume, owners and administrators).

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:01 AM
  • You can't see who proposed something when you're an Answerer? That's a huge bug, because you need that info before you mark it! And marking is the whole point of being an answerer!

Yeah, that's definitely going to slow me down a bit. Not only is it not being able to see who proposed the answer, but when that happened. At this point my plan is to work off of a minimum 14 day difference between now and the last response in a thread, just to be sure the OP has had enough time to mark an answer.

Of all the issues introduced by the redesign, I really think that this is the biggest problem. The name/avatar/post date being shown at the bottom of the post is certainly not ideal, but I can deal with it. Not knowing if the OP marked an answer or if a mod came through months later to mark something really changes the game.

Naomi - I'll certainly be glad to see more mods here. In my opinion, that'll be very helpful and is really what this forum needs. Most of the threads I respond to here (not just in this forum, throughout the rest of the forums/feedback forums I frequent [Technet Website feedback is probably the worst for this, Mike Kinsman has had to move a lot of threads while I've been around]) are about where the question should have been originally posted, rather than the question actually being about an issue with the forum.

Don't retire TechNet!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:45 AM

Don't retire TechNet!

You can't see who proposed something when you're an Answerer? That's a huge bug, because you need that info before you mark it! And marking is the whole point of being an answerer!

UPDATE: Okay. This is a known issue that they will work on.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:06 PM
    Owner
    • Edited by ThankfulHeart Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:22 AM Change to a topic
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:17 AM