VSS Bug update? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I wonder if anyone can give me an update on the VSS bug in WHS? There's a post here that's nearly 3 years old (and Ken's FAQ post is nearly 2 years old) and it seems to me that it's a massive hole in the product.
    I can protect my PCs better than I can protect my WHS install? It just sounds mad to me. 
    Should the best practice be to store all files on local PCs so that they have continual protection (from accidental deletes eg)?
    Thanks
    Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hi
    I wonder if anyone can give me an update on the VSS bug in WHS? There's a post here that's nearly 3 years old (and Ken's FAQ post is nearly 2 years old) and it seems to me that it's a massive hole in the product.
    I can protect my PCs better than I can protect my WHS install? It just sounds mad to me. 
    Should the best practice be to store all files on local PCs so that they have continual protection (from accidental deletes eg)?
    Thanks
    Ewan

Please have a look at the thread How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares.
    • Marked as answer by Ewan Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:38 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

• It seems unlikely to me that anything is going to happen in this version of Windows Home Server. I can't speak to a future version of the product, unfortunately; only Microsoft can.

For my family, best practice is to work on files locally and store them on the server when they're complete, or when we will need access to them from afar.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Thanks Ken

I thought that might be the case, though was hoping that maybe it had been fixed in a subsequent PP and I couldn't find the reference.

My problem is that I use a PC or laptop to work on files, so need a common area to access. Is there a command line interface to the admin console which I could use to schedule a nightly backup using task scheduler? How hard would that have been for the Product Team to knock out? I've seen a workaround using a macro recorder, but was hoping for something more elegant...

Thanks for the help though.

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Hi
    Thanks
    Ewan

Please have a look at the thread How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares.
    • Marked as answer by Ewan Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:38 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:05 PM