Same username on different machines RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to add my g/f's two computers to the server user list. A laptop with win vista 32 bit and a desktop with win7 ultimate 64 bit.
    She already have the same username and password on both, so I guess everything should work fine, but I rather ask you if there's anything I should check before I add her so that I don't get any trouble.

Friday, December 25, 2009 10:02 PM

Answers

• Yes, as long as user name AND password match, there should be no difficulties accessing shared folders, to which this account has access on server side.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:26 PM

All replies

• Yes, as long as user name AND password match, there should be no difficulties accessing shared folders, to which this account has access on server side.
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:26 PM
  • ok, have just added her and will give it a go. I'll make sure one computer finish backup before I add the other just in case.
    Will mark as answer later on if it seems to work correctly.

/Stefan from Sweden
    Monday, December 28, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Hi Stefan,
    WHS backup has nothing to do with the user name. The later is only to control access to shared resources in the LAN and remote access.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Olaf,
    As you might have noticed I still haven't marked this as answered.
    Most things seems to work fine, but she has been complaining about errors when she is working with shares on the server.
    We ended up with duplicates when we moved all our movies etc to the server, and she's getting errors about not being allowed to delete or move files etc.

Any suggestions where I should start investigating this? What is the most likely problem, user accounts, shares or some annoying background services on the clients searching media files etc?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Is the guest account on the server disabled (which it should be)?
    Did you copy at any time data locally on the server by accessing d:\shares? This could also explain some issues with file access.
    Can you delete the files if you login to the server as Administrator and use the shortcut Shared folders on Server? While this method is not supported, it should clarify, if the issue is caused by permissions or by some misbehavior of the file system.

Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:41 PM