locked
Problems downloading to WHS from IE 10 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All...

    I originally posted this question in the IE10 Forums, but they seemed to think it's a WHS problem and suggested posting it here. Can anyone in this forum shed any light on the issue, or suggest any further troubleshooting. My testing seems to point to IE10, but I'm open to suggestion. Thanx in advance.

    I updated several of my Win7x64 systems to IE10 as soon as it was offered by Windows Update. Since then everything seemed to work normally, but today I had occasion to attempt to download a number of files (updating my "Tools" folder) and I discovered that the downloads would often (usually) fail when downloaded to the Network Share (WHS 2011) where I store my downloads. The download would countdown and seem to complete, but would fail just before the security check, and examining the "partial" download it seemed to be the correct size as if it was complete.

    I tested the process on 2 of my machines to confirm. The downloads would work fine if I downloaded to the local desktop, and also worked fine from Chrome (saving to the network share). I have now un-installed IE10, and everything is again working correctly in IE9 with downloads going to the Server. I have been using this configuration for several years - I usually download from my Desktop, but access the files from my laptop using offline files while I'm out working.

    I remember a similar problem a few years ago (I seem to remember reading it had something to do with the "EOF" flag being incorrectly set) but unfortunately I can't remember which version of IE I was using at the time. It eventually got resolved (a subsequent update I suspect).

    Is this a known issue at this point? Searching the forums did not reveal any other mentions, but since IE10 is still very new and my configuration is a little unusual, it may not have come up very often. My systems are all fully up to date, and I have no other issues. I use IE almost exclusively, as I like to use what my clients expect me to support.

    I really don't think it has anything to do with my systems or configuration, but if you have any suggestions I would be happy to try them.

    Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

  • I recall something similar happening with a newly released version of Internet Explorer. You have further evidence in that you didn't have the problem until you installed IE10, then when you removed IE10 the problem went away.

    This seems like a clear-cut IE10 issue to me; unfortunately I think you will be stuck waiting for Microsoft to fix IE10, since I don't see them issuing a patch to Windows Home Server to fix an external issue.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:16 PM
  • I recall something similar happening with a newly released version of Internet Explorer. You have further evidence in that you didn't have the problem until you installed IE10, then when you removed IE10 the problem went away.
    This sounds a lot like a problem that FireFox (and SeaMonkey) had a few years ago. Downloads to a network share on a Win7 (and probably Server 2008, WHS2011) machine would fail in exactly this way. Downloads to an XP machine share worked normally.
     
    The Mozilla folks were very puzzled by this for a long time, but eventually they figured it out and fixed it.
     

    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:43 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

  • I recall something similar happening with a newly released version of Internet Explorer. You have further evidence in that you didn't have the problem until you installed IE10, then when you removed IE10 the problem went away.

    This seems like a clear-cut IE10 issue to me; unfortunately I think you will be stuck waiting for Microsoft to fix IE10, since I don't see them issuing a patch to Windows Home Server to fix an external issue.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:16 PM
  • I recall something similar happening with a newly released version of Internet Explorer. You have further evidence in that you didn't have the problem until you installed IE10, then when you removed IE10 the problem went away.
    This sounds a lot like a problem that FireFox (and SeaMonkey) had a few years ago. Downloads to a network share on a Win7 (and probably Server 2008, WHS2011) machine would fail in exactly this way. Downloads to an XP machine share worked normally.
     
    The Mozilla folks were very puzzled by this for a long time, but eventually they figured it out and fixed it.
     

    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:43 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Thanks, Ken.. I was certain it was an IE10 issues, especially when reverting to IE9 resolved it. I was quite surprised when the IE10 forum told me to post it over here. Guess they didn't have an answer, so they just looked for someone else to blame.

    I will mark this as the answer here, and look for another response in the IE10 forum.

    JohnBrown

    Monday, March 18, 2013 3:27 PM