router settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have a LINKSYS RVS4000 router configured as 198.168.1.5 connected to my WHS configured as 198.168.1.101.  I have a LINKSYS wireless router configured as 198.168.2.1 connected to the RVS4000.  I can access the server using the IP address in EI.  I can not get the connection software to find the server though.  What changes to I need to make to my network?

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

• I assume the problem you're having is with clients connected to your network through the wireless router?

Windows Home Server is designed for use on a network with a single segment. With two routers, each having a network address in a different address range, you also have two network segments. Probably the easiest thing to do is to configure your wireless router to run in "pass through" or "access point" mode, which will effectively make it into a switch instead of a router. Then it will obtain it's IP address from the wired router via DHCP, as will other devices connected to it (wired or wireless connections).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• I assume the problem you're having is with clients connected to your network through the wireless router?

Windows Home Server is designed for use on a network with a single segment. With two routers, each having a network address in a different address range, you also have two network segments. Probably the easiest thing to do is to configure your wireless router to run in "pass through" or "access point" mode, which will effectively make it into a switch instead of a router. Then it will obtain it's IP address from the wired router via DHCP, as will other devices connected to it (wired or wireless connections).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:49 PM
  • thanks for the reply, i have also same problem.
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:01 PM