CRM Update Rollup 2 KB927751 Client - Only installs if you have Domain Admin rights RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello.

We are having some problems getting the client version of CRM Update Rollup 2 KB927751 installed onto our PC's.  We are running CRM version 3 and the Outlook client (version 3.0.5300) with Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP2 & latest patches.

When we try to install the client patch as a user who is a member of the local PC's Administrator group on an existing PC running CRM client we receive the following error " You do not have permission to update Windows 2000" and the install then aborts!  I have managed to find the log file that is written during the install detail as follows.

[KB927751.log]

0.579: ================================================================================

0.579: 2007/09/11 19:28:27.886 (local)

0.579: c:\b456e9a40f7eda6e3309629070\v3\update\Update.exe (version 6.1.22.0)

0.594: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned: 0x7f

0.594: Failed To Enable SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGE

0.891:  Setup encountered an error:  You do not have permission to update Windows 2000.

Please contact your system administrator.

0.891: CustomizeCall:GetProcAddress for FailedInstallation failed: 0xe0000102

0.891: You do not have permission to update Windows 2000.

2.485: Message displayed to the user: You do not have permission to update Windows 2000.

2.485: User Input: OK

2.485: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf004

2.485: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

Then if we try to install the patch onto the a PC which is already running the CRM outlook client using a run as command and using an account which is a member of the Domain Admin group within Active Directory the install errors with " Setup has detected that the version of the update does not match the installed version of Microsoft CRM " I have been told that is because CRM is installed on the PC but under a different user profile.  Could someone tell me if this is correct and the patch has to be installed as the same user which CRM is already installed?  Log file details are as follows.  

0.547: 2007/09/11 19:38:16.419 (local)

0.547: c:\0cc77dbdd745bc8cc26b556163\v3\update\Update.exe (version 6.1.22.0)

0.563: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned: 0x7f

0.625: Hotfix started with following command line:

0.641: CreateUserInterface:  GetProcAddress for DefineInstallCustomUI failed:  0x7f

0.719: DoInstallation: CustomizeCall Failed: 0xfc0e

0.735: Setup has detected that the version of the update does not match the installed version of Microsoft CRM.

34.891: Message displayed to the user: Setup has detected that the version of the update does not match the installed version of Microsoft CRM.

34.891: User Input: OK

34.891: Update.exe extended error code = 0xfc0e

34.891: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

We have made a little progress and have been able to get this patch installed onto a users PC's but to do this we had to temporarily add the user account who has CRM installed into the Domain Admin group in Active Directory run the patch which then installs without any problems, and then remove the user from the domain admin group, but for oblivious reasons this is not something that we can do for all of users!  

Could someone please help by offering any suggestions as I really don't believe Microsoft would release a patch that only domain administrators could install, so maybe we may be doing something wrong in our initial deployment of CRM?

Thanks very much

Colin Addis

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:07 PM

Answers

• I've not met this specific error with the hotfix rollup, but I think the issue is to do with Active Directory security policy settings.

The rollup does have to be installed under the same user profile as the existing CRM client installation. If that user is made a member of the local Administrators group then that is usually sufficient rights, but it looks to me like the local Administrators group doesn't have all the permissions it normally has.

The error 'Failed To Enable SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGE' can normally be fixed in one of 2 ways:

1. Add the user to the local group 'Backup Operators'
    2. Change the local security policy to enable the 'Manage auditing and security log' user right for the user. This is done through running mmc, adding the Group Policy Editor snap-in on the Local Computer object, then going to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignment

As to how this happened; the user right in option 2 above is normally assigned to the administrators group, but it may have been removed

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:46 PM

All replies

• I've not met this specific error with the hotfix rollup, but I think the issue is to do with Active Directory security policy settings.

The rollup does have to be installed under the same user profile as the existing CRM client installation. If that user is made a member of the local Administrators group then that is usually sufficient rights, but it looks to me like the local Administrators group doesn't have all the permissions it normally has.

The error 'Failed To Enable SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGE' can normally be fixed in one of 2 ways:

1. Add the user to the local group 'Backup Operators'
    2. Change the local security policy to enable the 'Manage auditing and security log' user right for the user. This is done through running mmc, adding the Group Policy Editor snap-in on the Local Computer object, then going to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignment

As to how this happened; the user right in option 2 above is normally assigned to the administrators group, but it may have been removed

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:46 PM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your suggestions, 

I have tried Adding the user into the local group 'Backup Operators' as well as the local 'Administrators' restarted the PC & this resulted in the same error "You do not have permission to update Windows 2000". 

I have then tried the 2nd suggestion of changing the local security policy to enable the 'Manage auditing and security log' user right for the user. This was already set to the administrators group so I added in the 'Backup Operators' group and re-run the install and got the same error "You do not have permission to update Windows 2000".  

Does anyone have any other thoughts or idea's that I could try.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:40 PM
  • There are some other user rights that are involved with the SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGE that you could check. These are 'Backup files and directories' and 'Restore files and directories'.

Is it possible to install other hotfixes, service packs etc. on the machine ? My suggestions so far are all general considerations that should apply to a range of patches, not just CRM ones

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Hello, we had the same problem.

In our case, group policy only assigned 'Domain Admins' to the 'Backup files and directories' user right.

So, if even if you install as a local admin, you still would get the error message.

I solved this by creating a new policy in which I added a group to which all CRM users are belonging.

Regards,

Bernd

Monday, November 19, 2007 10:47 AM