Atom 330 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I just put together an Atom 330 based server using an Intel mini-ITX board and 2 GB RAM.
    2 PCs on the network. Both connected via Gigabit ethernet through a D-link Gigabit switch.

Here is my question:

1) What is the acceptable limits for back up time?

I was really frustrated that the first back-up took 24 hrs. from my laptop. That is crazy. The laptop has 2 250GB drives

2) I am now running my desktop backup. That has 500GB of data to be backed up and I am worried that that will not complete until late 2009.

Did I make a mistake going with Atom ? I can easily return the board and get a Core 2 Duo based server but my original intent was power efficiency . However, I am not willing to take a 90% performance hit in backup time (I am exaggerating here). I could not find any back time benchmarks on the web so opinions would be helpful. If needed I will sacrifice time and power effi ciency for fast backups. The Atom CPU does have to do some lifting in backup but I assumed that back-up was not too much for a dual core Atom...was I wrong?
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:07 PM

Answers

• I just figured out the issue.

Defective Gb ethernet cable that I made.

Replaced it.

Re ran the back up. Now 56% done after 2 hrs.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

I was really frustrated that the first back-up took 24 hrs. from my laptop. That is crazy. The laptop has 2 250GB drives
    If your first backup was of 500 GB of data (2x250 GB drives) 24 hours may not be too unreasonable, and is actually very good if you were using a wireless connection. The very first backup to a server tends to take a long time, and the first backup of an individual computer will be longer than any othe backup for that computer. As a point of reference, I have several computers; the first backup of the largest one took overnight, but regular backups are taking around 10 minutes per computer at this point.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I just figured out the issue.

Defective Gb ethernet cable that I made.

Replaced it.

Re ran the back up. Now 56% done after 2 hrs.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:55 PM