none
Certification path Windows 7/8 (70-680, 70-681 etc) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am currently studying for my 70-680 Windows 7, Configuring. Then I will take the 70-681 Deploying Windows 7 and office 2010 since it is in line with my kind of business.

I am wondering if it is worth to also take the 70-686, Enterprise Desktop Administrator to get the MCSA Windows 7 AND then eventually upgrade that to MCSA Windows 8 (70-689) OR if I should skip the 70-686 and then later this year go for the 70-687/70-688 for the MCSA Windows 8.

All in all there is the same amount of certifications but I will get an extra title with the MCSA Win 7. Is that better then doing both Win8 certs?

Input on this is very interesting for me :)

Cheers!

Please Vote as helpful if you find this useful. Thanks!

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:01 PM

Answers

• You will bound to see the adoption rate for Windows 8 increasing but certain organization (perhaps some gov sector) has just upgraded their whole infrastructure to support Windows 7 internally so you will still see value in having the Windows 7 certification.

Unless otherwise you are very sure that you next going to work in environment that only has Windows 8 as the OS then you can forgo going for the Windows 7. 

My 2 cents is that I suggest you going for both. Just do the upgrade later on.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

• Marked as answer by ITHenke Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:26 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:44 AM

All replies

• Bump!

Please Vote as helpful if you find this useful. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 is no going anywhere anytime soon. It's a long way for corporations to adopt to Windows 7. So it's better to get both of these certifications (MCSA: Windows 7 & 8) under your belt.

Hope this helps.

Rubel Khan

My Blog!
    Connect with me at LinkedIn
    Follow me on Twitter!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:28 PM
  • You will bound to see the adoption rate for Windows 8 increasing but certain organization (perhaps some gov sector) has just upgraded their whole infrastructure to support Windows 7 internally so you will still see value in having the Windows 7 certification.

Unless otherwise you are very sure that you next going to work in environment that only has Windows 8 as the OS then you can forgo going for the Windows 7. 

My 2 cents is that I suggest you going for both. Just do the upgrade later on.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

• Marked as answer by ITHenke Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:26 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:44 AM
  • Most companies I speak to have only recently upgraded to 7 or have planned to upgrade to 7 and are still going ahead with move to 7 instead of 8.  There will no doubt be many companies moving to 8 but generally from my experience of the corporate world the majority are slow moving and will keep an OS until they are forced to upgrade for compatibility issues or if extended support cycle has run out.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:43 PM