Get Genuine XP Now, or Hold Out for Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I was planning on upgrading to Vista when it becomes available.  I expect that it will sell in the $150-$250 range.

I would like to avoid shelling out $150 to get genuine with XP now and then turn around in three months and shell out another $150 for Vista.

Will there be a version of Vista that will upgrade from non-genuine XP?

Or is it a case of get genuine with XP now or be forced to do a drive wipe and install Vista from scratch when Vista is available?

Thanks!

Friday, May 5, 2006 1:00 PM

Answers

• Nicholas:

People running a non-genuine copy of Windows XP will not be able to upgrade to Windows Vista with a specific Windows Vista upgrade product.  If you are running a non-genuine copy of Windows XP and wish to use Windows Vista, you will have to either purchase a full priced retail version of Windows Vista or buy a new PC with Windows Vista pre-installed.  We have no pricing information regarding Windows Vista to share at this time.

We do encourage you to take advantage of the current offer to obtain a copy of genuine Windows XP directly from Microsoft.  Only genuine Windows XP provides the confidence and capabilities that you expect.  A genuine copy of XP will be able to upgrade to Windows Vista at the Windows Vista upgrade price.  To buy a genuine copy of Windows XP please click the "buy now" buttons during the validation path, or support your local genuine software reseller by purchasing locally from them.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 2:19 AM

All replies

• nicholas:

If you purchase the WGA Kit, you will recieve a kit to simply upgrade your copy of XP to a genuine copy without reformatting.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 5, 2006 6:37 PM
  • Phil, thanks for your response.

Will there be a 'upgrade' version of Vista that will upgrade non-genuine installations of XP?  The end result would be that you had a genuine version of Vista installed.

Thanks.

Saturday, May 6, 2006 12:26 PM
  • If there is (and I have no idea if there will be or not), you'll be waiting until 2007.  Unless there is new news in the last 2 weeks, Vista has been delayed until 1st quarter 2007.  I've been watching it closely on the Flight Sim X forums.Al

Saturday, May 6, 2006 6:10 PM
  •  nicholasbunny wrote:

I was planning on upgrading to Vista when it becomes available.  I expect that it will sell in the $150-$250 range.

I would like to avoid shelling out $150 to get genuine with XP now and then turn around in three months and shell out another $150 for Vista.

Or is it a case of get genuine with XP now or be forced to do a drive wipe and install Vista from scratch when Vista is available?

Thanks!

Saturday, May 6, 2006 9:09 PM
  •  nicholasbunny wrote:

Phil, thanks for your response.

Will there be a 'upgrade' version of Vista that will upgrade non-genuine installations of XP?  The end result would be that you had a genuine version of Vista installed.

Thanks.

I don't believe we have anything slated.

Monday, May 8, 2006 5:20 PM
  • Nicholas:

People running a non-genuine copy of Windows XP will not be able to upgrade to Windows Vista with a specific Windows Vista upgrade product.  If you are running a non-genuine copy of Windows XP and wish to use Windows Vista, you will have to either purchase a full priced retail version of Windows Vista or buy a new PC with Windows Vista pre-installed.  We have no pricing information regarding Windows Vista to share at this time.

We do encourage you to take advantage of the current offer to obtain a copy of genuine Windows XP directly from Microsoft.  Only genuine Windows XP provides the confidence and capabilities that you expect.  A genuine copy of XP will be able to upgrade to Windows Vista at the Windows Vista upgrade price.  To buy a genuine copy of Windows XP please click the "buy now" buttons during the validation path, or support your local genuine software reseller by purchasing locally from them.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 2:19 AM
  • This is a test post. There have been posting problems and I'm checking to see if they are still happening
    Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:48 AM
  • test 2
    Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:04 AM
  •  nicholasbunny wrote:

I was planning on upgrading to Vista when it becomes available.  I expect that it will sell in the $150-$250 range.

Thanks!

I have seen Vista and yes it looks all pretty and stuff like that, but once again Microsoft expects everyone to have a 1Gb of ram and a powerful CPU and video card just to run the O/S. That is stupid. I know that it is only in beta but there is a lot of software that will not run, old XP drivers work in a fashion if you are lucky. the other problem is this DRM rubbish, MS is going to far with it now and seems to want to contro0l what people have on their computers, this is not right.
    If I buy music, then I should be able to listen to it on what ever format I want.

The other problem with vista is that it holds your hand too much, You can't do nothing without windows asking you about 3 times if you want to do it.

I will stick with XP and when the price comes down as it will when Vista is launched I may buy a copy for the other computer. Unless I decide to go for an Apple Mac, wich the way it is going at the moment with all the security problems with windows it seems very possible that I will go for a MAc.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:38 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Nicholas:

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

confidence and windows?
    The way it si going at the moment it makes me feel like giving up on computers.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:42 AM
  • Final Vista will do a smart installation; IOW it will only install as much of its major components as your hardware can support.  So if you don't have for example a directx-9 capable discreet video card (as compared to on-board video) with 128MB, Vista will not even attempt to install the Aero-Glass visual eye candy.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 11:01 PM
  • I only have one questin.  How do you uninstall this Vista Beta and get back to win XP?  This is ok but I know how to do things in XP and this wont even let me open my own folders and such. I am listed as administrator on this machine, am the only user, and it wont let me do anything.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 9:38 PM
  • Vista, will still be massive, bloatware I think they call it.
    Micorosft should concentrate on the O/s not all the prettyness of it.

I will stay with XP,
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 10:13 PM
  •  carol0 wrote:
    I only have one questin.  How do you uninstall this Vista Beta and get back to win XP?  This is ok but I know how to do things in XP and this wont even let me open my own folders and such. I am listed as administrator on this machine, am the only user, and it wont let me do anything.

You don't.

As far as I know Vista Beta will not update XP, so it have to be installed as a new install. that means that Xp have gone and you have to reformat y9our drive and reinstall XP from scratch.

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 10:15 PM
  • Yes, I upgraded to Vista from XP Pro.  Supposedly we were supposed to be able to go back to xp.  I have to much on my drive to be able to format it that i can no longer find the install cd's for since my last 3 or 4 moves.  I also have IE 7 beta on here that I wish to heck I could get rid of.

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 11:24 PM
  • Before installing any BETA software one should really make a Ghost(or similar) image so that if you want to get rid of it then you can just restore your original set up.
    Sunday, July 9, 2006 9:13 AM