My WHS keeps shutting down, i need suggestions please! RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Pentium 4 desktop that i use as my Windows Home Server.  It started shutting down by itself and I don't know why.  I have a maxtor ide hard drive as my main drive and a sata 1 tb drive hooked up.  Sometimes it shuts down after 10-30 seconds, other times it stays up long enough for me to log in via remote desktop.  I looked in the event viewer and found this errors from today

Event Type:    Warning
    Event Source:    EventSystem
    Event Category:    (52)
    Event ID:    4356
    Date:        4/22/2010
    Time:        10:12:35 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVER
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber {58FC39EB-9DBD-4EA7-B7B4-9404CC6ACFAB}.  StandardCreateInstance returned HRESULT 8000401A.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    TermServDevices
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1111
    Time:        10:13:42 AM
    Description:
    Driver Microsoft Shared Fax Driver required for printer Fax is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 12 0d 00 00   ........

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    TermServDevices
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1111
    Time:        10:13:40 AM
    Description:
    Driver Lexmark 4300 Series required for printer Lexmark 4300 Series is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 12 0d 00 00   ........
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:29 PM

All replies

• Ca you be clear on if you mean powering off or going through a controlled shutdown? 

--
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:14 PM
  • I believe it is just shutting off abruptly.  I can be logged in via remote desktop and I see now shutdown process
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Those sorts of problems tend to indicate a power or thermal problem.   Are you able to swap out the PSU?  To prove it's not Windows Home Server you should be able to run memtest86 or a linux live CD for a while and it will also shutdown.  Also you might want to check the thermal readings in the BIOS.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, April 23, 2010 9:16 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:49 PM
  • This computer doesnt have a memory card and i dont have one that goes in it anymore.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:59 PM
  • This computer doesnt have a memory card and i dont have one that goes in it anymore.
    Memtest86 is a RAM diagnostic application.  It has nothing to do with a memory card.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:11 PM
  • I meant a video card.  Anyway I took the heat sink off and smeared the thermal paste around and it has be running for at least 15 minutes but I can't access it from my Win 7 desktop in the network device section.

Edit:  I just restarted it and now I can log in via remote desktop.  is there anything I can do from remote desktop to find any issues?  After putting the heat sink back on it has ran steady and longer than it has since it started messing up, hopefully that was the issue.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:25 PM
  • You could probably run speedfan if your motherboard is recognised:
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

This will give you a clue about your CPU temperatures.

Also you are better off with a small amount of thermal paste - just enough to fill in the microscopic pits that exist on the surface of the heatsink and CPU.  If you started off with too much thermal paste it's possible it's become aerated and useless.  It may be a good idea to buy some new paste clean up the cpu and heatsink and reapply the paste (sparingly).

--
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:08 PM