Stupid Newbie question RRS feed

• Question

• OK, currently I have a few computers in the house which have all of our digital photos stored on them.  I say multiple computers because I literally have these things backed up across 3-4 different computers.  My wife seems to take about 2-4 GB of pictures a month and likes to have them available to her via the computer almost all the time (so archiving to DVD is not practical, although I do it for an additional backup method).  What I am wondering is what is the best practice of installing a WHS in my environment.  Luckily, I have a gig network between my computer, my wife's computer and where the WHS will sit, so the speed will not be a huge issue.  Should I just put these things in the shared pictures folder on the WHS and go from there (although it will not be backup up), or go ahead and keep them on  the local pc and then back it up nightly.  Obviously, I would only move 1 backup of each photo folder to the WHS.  I am just wondering if anyone else had tried this scenario and what they did for a solution.  I was planning on putting a 500 gig and 1.5TB drive in the WHS for storage of everything (that should hold us for a while).

Disneykev
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:17 PM

Answers

• You're asking about best practices, which in this case will be very dependent on your (or your wife's) preferred image manipulation workflow. So I'm going to offer an example of how I use WHS for this purpose instead.

I take probably about 3-4x that many photos a month. I use Adobe Lightroom for image management, and Photoshop for heavy-duty image processing. So my workflow is something like this:
    • Shoot, shoot, shoot.
    • Import photos to Lightroom. Initial tagging, color balancing, image selection, etc.
    • (If I'm travelling) Export images from Lightroom on the laptop to Lightroom on the desktop.
    • Further manipulation, Photoshopping, etc. Everything on the laptop/desktop gets backed up to the server regularly, and (if travelling) images go onto an external drive in addition to the laptop.
    • Final image and any "in process" files get moved to a collection on the server, where they are effectively static. That collection is in a share with duplication turned on.
    • Occasionally (weekly in my case, via scheduled task) I back up my shares to an external drive and take that drive off-site, rotating another drive on-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:33 PM
  • As you hinted you want 2 copies of your files.  Whether you leave one on the pc(s) and let the home server backup the pc(s) or move all pictures to the home server with more than one hard drive and enable duplication for your shares. You will then be "protected"

Advantage to having the pics on the home server is a centralized place to view them locally or from afar with an add-in like whiist.   Also as Ken suggested you can use the copy to external hard drive function of home server to easily have a removable/offsite copy of your pics.

Still.....

Grey
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:22 PM

All replies

• You're asking about best practices, which in this case will be very dependent on your (or your wife's) preferred image manipulation workflow. So I'm going to offer an example of how I use WHS for this purpose instead.

I take probably about 3-4x that many photos a month. I use Adobe Lightroom for image management, and Photoshop for heavy-duty image processing. So my workflow is something like this:
    • Shoot, shoot, shoot.
    • Import photos to Lightroom. Initial tagging, color balancing, image selection, etc.
    • (If I'm travelling) Export images from Lightroom on the laptop to Lightroom on the desktop.
    • Further manipulation, Photoshopping, etc. Everything on the laptop/desktop gets backed up to the server regularly, and (if travelling) images go onto an external drive in addition to the laptop.
    • Final image and any "in process" files get moved to a collection on the server, where they are effectively static. That collection is in a share with duplication turned on.
    • Occasionally (weekly in my case, via scheduled task) I back up my shares to an external drive and take that drive off-site, rotating another drive on-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:33 PM
  • As you hinted you want 2 copies of your files.  Whether you leave one on the pc(s) and let the home server backup the pc(s) or move all pictures to the home server with more than one hard drive and enable duplication for your shares. You will then be "protected"

Advantage to having the pics on the home server is a centralized place to view them locally or from afar with an add-in like whiist.   Also as Ken suggested you can use the copy to external hard drive function of home server to easily have a removable/offsite copy of your pics.

Still.....

Grey
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:22 PM