DFS possible on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

At our office we're running a Windows Small Business 2008 machine with some 250G of data on it. At the moment I'm backing this data up daily using a tape drive and Symantec Backup Exec, and I'm not very happy with it.

I'm exploring the possibility to replicate the data to another server using DFS. Would Windows Home Server be able to this? Since it is based on a "normal" Windows Server, maybe DFS is implemented in WHS as well.

Thanks for you answers in advance!

Regards,

Martijn.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:19 AM

Answers

• Replication for purposes of fault tolerance required that both servers exist in the same domain, yes, because the replicated resource will be addressed via a namespace rather than a server, e.g. \\KEN.DOMAIN\FT_Folders\foldername instead of \\KENSERVER\foldername. But replication and namespaces are separate components of DFS, and one can be configured without the other.

Even if it works, though, I still wouldn't use it in production.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Grootma Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:51 PM

All replies

• While I haven't tried, I doubt that Windows Home Server will support DFS. And I'm pretty certain that Microsoft won't support that scenario. You can certainly try it, but I wouldn't use a configuration like that in production.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Ken.

The "problem" is that I can buy a HP machine with WHS cheap, and I wanted to know in advance if I could do DFS on WHS.

I too doubt that WHS supports DFS, but maybe someone here has already tried to make it work.

Regards,

Martijn.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:15 PM
  • WHS can not be part of a domain, and I think this is requirement for replicating data using DFS.

Although it's not officially supported you could use WHS to backup (part) of the SBS 2008 server. Personally I wouldn't rely on such a backup for a full bare metal restore of the server, however you will have easy access to the backup data whenever you need it.

Perhaps you should also have a look at DPM (EDIT: If you can read Dutch you may want to read this article)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Replication for purposes of fault tolerance required that both servers exist in the same domain, yes, because the replicated resource will be addressed via a namespace rather than a server, e.g. \\KEN.DOMAIN\FT_Folders\foldername instead of \\KENSERVER\foldername. But replication and namespaces are separate components of DFS, and one can be configured without the other.

Even if it works, though, I still wouldn't use it in production.

• Marked as answer by Grootma Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Thanks guys,

I'll buy a more sensible solution for my problem then.

Regards,

Martijn.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:02 PM