New Customer List in CRM 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

i apologize if this is already mentioned. I have a head ache from searching with no results.  I'm new to CRM 2013... I want to know how to set up 2 types of customers... to be able to have Type A customer list and Type B customer list and even a Type C customer list. Type a would be for one set of contacts and type B another and type C another. is this possible? im in the trucking industry and i have 3 types of contacts : Customer Contacts : Corporate Contacts : Driver Contacts. all help is appreciated. I'm open for advise if there is an easier way.

• Edited by Mark R183 Friday, April 4, 2014 3:35 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 3:34 PM

All replies

• You can use a category field to distinguish the different types of customers. I don't think there is an out of the box field for this so you will probably need to a custom field.

Or you can create a marketing list for each type of contact and then manually add each contact to the appropriate list.

In part the best approach depends on what you want to do with the separate lists.

Friday, April 4, 2014 6:49 PM
  • There is a OOB field called Relationship Type (Schema name: Customertypecode) that you can use. It is not on the form but you can add it. Here is a detailed post on how you can use it. Though the post talks of CRM 2011, the same works for CRM 2013.

As Feridun rightly mentioned, the way you design customers in your solution depends on how you want to use them but this is a simple approach that suffices most implementations.

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:23 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I agree with Mamatha, I would use the Out Of the Box field "Relationship Type" and customize it to include the different types of contacts. After this, I would create views within the Contact entity for each "Customer Contacts", "Corporate Contacts", and "Driver Contacts". You currently have views like "Active Contacts" or "My Active Contacts" that drill down your contacts accordingly.

So to add these views go to Settings >> Customizations >> Customize the System. Expand your list of Entities >> Expand you Contact entity >> click views. Click "New".
    1. Name the view. (Ex "Customer Contacts")
    2. First click "Edit Filter Criteria" on the right side of the new view window. This is where you use the advanced find to filter, so I would do something like "Status equals Active", "Relationship Type equals Customer Contacts". Click OK when finished with your query.
    3. Click "Add Columns" on the right side of the new view window. This is where you will want to put all your columns in that you want to see in the view. Maybe look at your other views like Active Contacts and replicate. Add in your Relationship Type too. By double clicking on the column header you can resize to your liking. You can also move the columns right or left by using the green arrows. Click OK when finished.
    4. Save and Close the view. Click Contacts back in your entity list and "Publish" for these changes to take effect.

These new views will enable you to quickly move between your contact types. Good luck!

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:05 PM