Manually start disk balancing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey to everyone, Smile

I setup WHS RTM on a 320gb sata2 disk, moved data from another 320gb disk into WHS and then formatted and added the 2nd disk too.

Everything seemed fine until I tried to move some more data on the WHS.

I got an error that I need additional xxxMbs to copy the file... o_O

The WHS D:\ partition has less than 40Mbs free space but the new disk ( C:\fs\F ) seems empty.

Also the WHS Console says I got 302Gb of free space.

I figured it just needs to balance so I let it be...

That was 3 days ago... Stick out tongue

Is there any way to manually balance the damn thing?

I tried to remove the disk but WHS warned me I might perm. lose data so I stopped hehe -- since c:\fs\f is empty I don't think that is the case.

Any tips? Smile

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, October 26, 2007 9:51 AM

Answers

• There's no way to manually start balancing by just logging in and starting a service or running a program, I'm afraid.

Restarting is what probably caused Drive Extender to start balancing. It would eventually have started moving files off your D: drive anyway, but it might have taken a very long time. It's like the reboot "wakes up" DE.
    Friday, October 26, 2007 11:53 AM

All replies

• "Drive Extender seems to be "lazy" in that it doesn't touch files that are already duplicated if they don't change, so when you fill your server, duplicates get stored on the D: partition, and don't get moved when you add another drive unless you modify the files somehow

Try turning off duplication for all shares that have it turned on, wait for WHS to finish balancing, then turn it back on. This can free up the space on your system drive that duplication is currently using"

quote from Ken Warren in this topic:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2313129&SiteID=50

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:19 AM
  • There are no shared folder getting dublicated so turning them off ain't an option Smile

I unplugged the ethernet cable, restarted the WHS and after some time it started balancing...

Not sure if it just happend to work this time I restarted or the network cable player some role but the Console says it's actually balancing now.

I still would like to know if there is a manuall way to start the balacing service.

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:28 AM
  • There's no way to manually start balancing by just logging in and starting a service or running a program, I'm afraid.

Restarting is what probably caused Drive Extender to start balancing. It would eventually have started moving files off your D: drive anyway, but it might have taken a very long time. It's like the reboot "wakes up" DE.
    Friday, October 26, 2007 11:53 AM