Non-CDROM Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an UMPC which using Vista but no CD-ROM. Can i make a partition to place restore programe. Or do anything else?

Is WHS Backup support thoose Non-Cdrom Computer?

Thank You

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:07 PM

Answers

• While running the full system restore from a CD-ROM is the most likely scenario, it should be possible to use any device you can connect which the motherboard will boot from. That could include an external USB CD-ROM drive, or a flash drive (if properly formatted). It depends on the motherboard's BIOS; some won't boot from any USB devices.

Exactly how to set up to boot from an external device you will have to research yourself. External CD-ROMs are pretty easy; you find compatible hardware, configure the BIOS, and go. Flash and other similar devices are more difficult, because they will probably have to be formatted in a particular fashion.

I have just submitted a suggestion on Connect to the effect that the connector install should offer the creation of a restore partition on a client PC as an option.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:12 PM

All replies

• While running the full system restore from a CD-ROM is the most likely scenario, it should be possible to use any device you can connect which the motherboard will boot from. That could include an external USB CD-ROM drive, or a flash drive (if properly formatted). It depends on the motherboard's BIOS; some won't boot from any USB devices.

Exactly how to set up to boot from an external device you will have to research yourself. External CD-ROMs are pretty easy; you find compatible hardware, configure the BIOS, and go. Flash and other similar devices are more difficult, because they will probably have to be formatted in a particular fashion.

I have just submitted a suggestion on Connect to the effect that the connector install should offer the creation of a restore partition on a client PC as an option.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Thank You for your suggestion. But i want to know that can i make a partitoin and move the Restore Programe to it now?\

Thanks

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:15 AM
  • You can try, but there's no supported method of doing so. The Restore CD is more than a program.

That's why I made the suggestion on Connect, so that the WHS team would know that some in the community want a supported way of making this happen.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:46 AM
  • Maybe it could be an option to apply RIS or somesort with it. Totally pre-configured so the home-user doesn't have to do anything and they can install a back-up over network.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:15 PM
  •  Harro van Dalen wrote:
    Maybe it could be an option to apply RIS or somesort with it. Totally pre-configured so the home-user doesn't have to do anything and they can install a back-up over network.

That would be interesting but in order to use RIS you need to make some custom settings on your DHCP Server. Most consumer grade routers can't be configured for RIS and WHS won't be serving DHCP.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:05 PM