Memory issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MSI motherboard (K8T-FIS2R) I want to use for my Home server. Max memory for this is 3GB. However Windows will not install if there is more than 1 stick of memory in the board. This is a known issue by MSI but there is no fix.

Is there an install/setup switch that will allow me to install Windows HS and then add the other 2 sticks of memory. I am working with the WHS 2011 version.

Friday, September 30, 2011 2:19 PM

All replies

• I don't recommend the use of older hardware, because older hardware is likely to be closer to the point of failure, and even solid state electronics will eventually suffer age-related failures. I also don't recommend the use of hardware with installation issues of any sort. In this case, "known issue" reads as shorthand for "yeah, we know the BIOS is broken, so here's a really inconvenient workaround instead of fixing what's wrong", not something I would consider acceptable.

That said, however, just install with a single DIMM, then add the additional memory. It's just like any other version of Windows in this regard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:33 PM