Restore IE7 after IE8 botched uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• Machine basics:

MS Win XP SP3 all updates
      4GB PC-800 DRAM (3.5GB usable)
      AMD Quadcore 9850 2.5 GHz
      Nvidia 8800 GTS/640MB RAM
      2 Gateway Extreme HD1600p panels run in Nvidia horizontal span mode 5120x1600
      C drive 2 partions WinXP & Windows  7 RC (windows 7 very rarely booted)
      D drive 700GB Nvidia Media store RAID 1 (mirror)
      2 Pioneer dvd burners
      Sound blaster Audigy 2 Zs
      Zip drive (hardly used)
      3.5 floppy (used even less)
      Xming runs on boot

I installed IE8 Saturday morning when update informed me that it was downloaded and ready for
    install. After the mandatory reboot, I noticed paint was extremely slow. My
    test for paint is to open a empty notepad, grab it by the task bar and shake
    the bejeezus out of it. On my pre IE8 system this was rock solid, it just
    moved around the screen as fast as I could shake it. On the post IE8 installed system,
    I had trails across all 5100 pixels of my 1600 pixel high horizontally spanned
    desktop.

My next step was to roll back, of course, IE never has a remove key (duh).
    I went back to my Wednesday restore point, just to be safe. I was relieved to see that my desktop was
    back to its normal paint speed, notepad dances with the cursor.

But wait, there's more!

IE7 does not work. Though it is not my primary browser, I use it for silly
    stuff, like windows update, Netflix DRM viewing, stuff like that. When ever I
    tried to light up a IE based task, IE just took a dive, and get this, It does not
    even give a failed app dialog box. NOOOOOOO, it just goes away. It is homed on
    Netflix Live play and sometimes a see a flash of the red background before it just ups and is gone.

Windows update just shows a white window and is gone in something less that a second, this is not good.

So I found a thread. PA Bear says, use the remove function to uninstall
    IE8, NOT the restore point. So, oh boy, how am I  going to avoid doing a sysgen?
    Oh, and I am cross posting here at the request of PA Bear.

OK, re-install IE8. Yup the slow down is back. BTW I use
    active desktop for a bunch of monitoring web pages, so just for haha's I
    disable all the active desktop stuff. Hey its faster! I dunno if it is as fast as
    pre IE8, but now I want my old machine back. So I do the IE8 uninstall with
    the remove button in control panel->Add or Remove Programs and again the mandatory re-boot.

RATS! IE7 is still not working, it fails just like above. No IE7 Netflix, no Windows update.

I then ran a IE7 install, hoping this would fix the problem, nothing, no change.

I found an "alternate" remove of IE8:

C:\Documents and Settings\gjpc>%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
           The system cannot find the path specified.
           (there are no ie8 directories on the entire C drive)

Looking at the event Viewer Perhpas I see a couple of relevent entries:

Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C
    DBFC5D}
         and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--------------------------- & ---------------------------

Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE}
         and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Both events are ID 1041.

The link does bring up the Help & Support center that says, no additional information is available.
    Like many windows error boxes you can not copy from it so, just to let you know, there is an apology in there too.

(Help and support does not use IE??)

There are no entries in the Internet Explorer log.

Everything else on my machine seems to be running normally I use rvd for 9 desktops and my most used apps all run

Searching on a non IE8 XP pro system neither key is found.
    On my IE8 wrecked system the key's are there but there are no values set and they are in a very nasty looking place:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions\{CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D}

I found an entry in http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Beta-WinXP-uninstall-issue-ftopict627479.html that says delete the two keys
    and cleanup the registry, I don't have too much to lose so I tried this. the keys were not on the untouched XP system anyway.

I did get a single change in behavior. immediately after the delete and cleanup, I got a application fail when I started windows update the first time.

Application popup: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c910cce" referenced
                       memory at "0xff000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
       Click on CANCEL to debug the program

But now it went back to the old behavior it just disappears without a trace.

The help for the new IE dive suggested to re-install the application, I did and now there are two new errors:

Event ID 1001:

Fault bucket 1311501309.

Event ID 1000:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16850, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.5512, fault address 0x00036fa3.

Again, after the first time faults, IE7 just goes away, without any boxes or entries.

ANYONE have an idea how to get IE7 back?
    ANYONE have information on dllName Entry: {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C DBFC5D} or { 7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE }?
    • Edited by gjpc Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:11 PM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:16 PM

Answers