restore and shared folder duplication RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First, I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.  If this has already been addressed please do point me in the right direction.

If not, well, I think I'm misunderstanding the purpose of whs. 

I wanted to use it as a back up for various computers in the house, but I also wanted to use it as a file server.

So, I know that to protect files that are exclusively on whs, I need to turn on folder duplication.

Okay, that's good, in the event a drive totally fails I have some assurance that the data resides on another drive.

But how do I restore a file that is stored exclusively on whs? 

I see no dialog box for this.

Thanks for any help.

KUrt

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:28 PM

Answers

• There's no need to recover the files yourself; WHS will do so automatically if required. If a drive fails on a WHS PC with share duplication turned on, when you remove the failed drive from the storage pool using the console, WHS will reestablish the duplication for any files on that drive (if there's still enough space in the storage pool to do so).
    Monday, November 12, 2007 5:21 PM
  • You should be able to right click any file in a share on WHS, select the Previous Versions tab, and restore any previous version that's listed. Space for this purpose is limited, so older previous versions will be purged occasionally.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:17 AM

All replies

• There's no need to recover the files yourself; WHS will do so automatically if required. If a drive fails on a WHS PC with share duplication turned on, when you remove the failed drive from the storage pool using the console, WHS will reestablish the duplication for any files on that drive (if there's still enough space in the storage pool to do so).
    Monday, November 12, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response to this and also for all the other questions you've answered in other posts!

For this though, I will occasionally have a need to recover specific files and not wait until a drive fails. 

For instance, let's say I have a wmv file.  It is only stored on WHS (not on a client). It gets corrupted.  Is it recoverable?  Is there a restorable version somewhere?

I have a client computer running Vista and tried to use the restore tool to retrieve an old version, but it was corrupted as well.  It didn't work.

Maybe that was a freak thing.

Is restoring a single file (with a right click) supposed to work from a client computer to the server?

Thanks for all your help.  You've answered many questions I've had and you don't even know it!

Kurt

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:09 AM
  • I have the same issue. I have my Thunderbird email store on a WHS share. Last night some sort of network error occurred while I was accessing my email, and some of the files in the email store got corrupted. I do have folder duplication turned on. I wanted to go to whereever the duplicates were saved and restore the corrupted files, but could not find them. If this is only useful when an entire hard drive fails, it is of pretty limited value to me. Hopefully this can be improved. Right now I don't feel very comfortable with my email on the server. I'm going to schedule a task to periodically copy it from the server to a spare hard drive on my PC (which sort of defeats the purpose of having the server doing my backups don't you think?).
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:55 PM
  • You should be able to right click any file in a share on WHS, select the Previous Versions tab, and restore any previous version that's listed. Space for this purpose is limited, so older previous versions will be purged occasionally.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:17 AM
  • I've clicked on numerous files that reside on WHS shares and there's no "Previous Versions" tab that I can see. Perhaps you could post a screenshot showing what you're referring to?
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:20 AM
  • See Microsoft's Vista Help on the subject. (Ignore all the stuff about how to turn it on and configure it, you shouldn't have to do that for WHS to work.) Click on "How do I access previous versions of a file or folder?" for a screen shot. The interface for XP looks almost identical. And it works just fine on my servers.

If you have never changed a file on the server, there will be no previous versions available. If you've copied huge amounts of data to your server recently, it's possible that you've simply used up all the available space or you just aren't trying the right files. Or if you've turned off duplication for your shares, then recently rebooted, that purges previous versions as well.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:56 AM
  • I see it on Vista clients, but not XP. But even on Vista, there's no previous versions. I do have duplication turned on in the folder definitions. In lieu of a screenshot could you give a description of what you do, exactly, to see this?

Like, click the WHS icon in the tray on a client PC. Select shared folders. Open a shared folder. Right click a file. Choose the "Previous Versions" tab. etc.

I can't imagine what I am missing here ...
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:01 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Or if you've turned off duplication for your shares, then recently rebooted, that purges previous versions as well.

That's almost exactly the problem I've been having with Shadow Copies (I get Invalid File Handle error, check my post here).  Is this a known issue with WS2K3 or just WHS?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:19 AM
  •  Bob Cronin wrote:
    I see it on Vista clients, but not XP. But even on Vista, there's no previous versions. I do have duplication turned on in the folder definitions. In lieu of a screenshot could you give a description of what you do, exactly, to see this?

Like, click the WHS icon in the tray on a client PC. Select shared folders. Open a shared folder. Right click a file. Choose the "Previous Versions" tab. etc.

I can't imagine what I am missing here ...

Open up the network share icon on your desktop, right click on a share, click Properties.  You should see a tab that says Previous Versions.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Like I said, I see the Previous Versions tab when I right click a share in Vista, but not XP Pro SP2. Further, every time I click the Previous Versions tab for a share, it tells me there are no previous versions available (this, despite the fact that duplication IS on). So color me confused ...
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:05 AM