Link multiple home server shares? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to have my main WHS include or link to the files on my other 2 WHS's. IE: Main WHS share "Software" can have a dir "Dev Apps" but this dir points to my second WHS "Software" dir. I would like to do this as my main WHS only stores my media where is my other 2 store applications but i need these to be accessible via the WHS webpage.

I would like to be able to logon to my WHS page (Main server) then nav to "Software" then nav to "Dev Apps" but have the software in the "Dev Apps folder stored on my second WHS, is this something that is available to do?

I have read that you cant change the default shares but thats not what I am trying to do. I have used symbolic links before but mklink is not available in svr2003/WHS.

Thanks for any ideas.

Conix
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:01 AM

Answers

• There is no way to do what you want. Cross-host NTFS symbolic links require specific support on both sides to work, which means Vista and above...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Conix Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:40 PM

All replies

• There is no way to do what you want. Cross-host NTFS symbolic links require specific support on both sides to work, which means Vista and above...
    • Marked as answer by Conix Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

Could I run multiple WHS websites via one router if I use port forwarding?

Thanks

Conix
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:49 PM
  • No. You would need a "reverse proxy server", which would take care of sending requests to appropriate servers based on URL.

Also note that my answer above only addresses the NTFS side of the equation. Windows Home Server itself will probably choke on a hardlink or symlink in the server shares.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:53 PM