none
How to define/manage possible values for Tags Details in File Explorer?

Question

• When looking to the properties of a file and then selecting the details tab you can enter tags. This is typeahead. Where can i define/manage those typeahead values?

<link href="chrome://s3gt/skin/s3gt_tooltip.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    • Moved by litdev Friday, February 27, 2015 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:54 PM

Answers

• Interesting topic,

you're talking about XP where the file metadata are stored as steams appended to the file (or folder) and are managed through the details tab. Therefor, never make the same mistake and store eg. archive passwords under the details tab (eg. comments) and then move the archive to a non NTFS drive. They will be lost then :-(.

see eg here:

File Metadata

Comment Explorer Extension (CmdLine)

Lee's AltStreamOverlay

StreamEnumerator (C#)

search for eg. StreamViewers aso.

As about SB i made an SBShell extension (with Interop.Shell32) that reads all the extended file details

as they work for Win7 (but don't remember any more which items there were on XP details tab, except 'Comments' , ... ???) and never tested on XP, but works for the items under 'Details' on Win7, (Reading)
    To write such details from SB extension it needs 3rd party libs like, ExifLib, Mp3Lib, Mp3TagLib etc.

PS: After looking for some pics about old XP PropsTab, seems i've mixed up something above. The stream stuff depends to the 'Summary' tab in XP (not any more in Win7). While all the other extended details would be accessable via SB (Extension, show dialog or read values), if's that what you want and your question is about SB at all.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:01 PM

All replies

• This is clearly not a questiom about the Small Basic programming language. I think you can better try to find a more fitting forum for this sort of question.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Interesting topic,

you're talking about XP where the file metadata are stored as steams appended to the file (or folder) and are managed through the details tab. Therefor, never make the same mistake and store eg. archive passwords under the details tab (eg. comments) and then move the archive to a non NTFS drive. They will be lost then :-(.

see eg here:

File Metadata

Comment Explorer Extension (CmdLine)

Lee's AltStreamOverlay

StreamEnumerator (C#)

search for eg. StreamViewers aso.

As about SB i made an SBShell extension (with Interop.Shell32) that reads all the extended file details

as they work for Win7 (but don't remember any more which items there were on XP details tab, except 'Comments' , ... ???) and never tested on XP, but works for the items under 'Details' on Win7, (Reading)
    To write such details from SB extension it needs 3rd party libs like, ExifLib, Mp3Lib, Mp3TagLib etc.

PS: After looking for some pics about old XP PropsTab, seems i've mixed up something above. The stream stuff depends to the 'Summary' tab in XP (not any more in Win7). While all the other extended details would be accessable via SB (Extension, show dialog or read values), if's that what you want and your question is about SB at all.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:01 PM
  • In addition you can ask over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 5:14 PM