National Emergency Grant (NEG) program - (Free Training) RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Federal NEG program is designed to help the former employees of 31 financial service businesses who were dislocated as a result of the mass layoffs in 2008. Each individual displaced from their position after May 31, 2008 can qualify for a grant up to $12,500 worth of career training.

This grant is for training purposes as part of the State’s Eligible Training Provider Program. Only Institutions registered with their State Board of Education can administer training. NetCom Information Technology provides top quality IT training and is a member of the State’s Eligible Training Provider Program.

This is a time sensitive program and this National Emergency Grant will expire soon.

Which Previous Employers were Selected for this Program?

Alliance Berstein LP Bank Hapoalim
    Bank of America NA Bank of New York
    Barclays Capital, Inc. Bear Stearns & Co. Inc.
    Capital One National Assoc. Citibank NA
    Citigroup Global Markets Commerce Bank
    Countrywide Funding Corporation Credit Suisse Securities
    Financial Guaranty Insurance Company GE Capital Corporation/Citi Capital
    Goldman, Sachs & Company HSBC Bank USA National Assoc.
    Indymac Bank JP Morgan Chase
    JP Morgan Chase Bank NA JP Morgan Securities, Inc.
    Lehman Brothers, Inc. McGraw Hill Company
    Merrill Lynch Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith
    Morgan Stanley Radian Asset Assurance, Inc.
    Teachers Insurance & Annuity Assoc. UBS Investment Bank
    UBS Securities UniCredit Banca di Roma
    Washington Mutual Bank  

Who qualifies to receive this Grant?

• Employees who worked for the above 31 companies which were dislocated after May 31, 2008
    • Individuals in need of training to advance their career.
    • You do not have to be unemployed to qualify for this training.

How do you receive this Grant?

1. Contact your local Employment Office to obtain the necessary NEG paperwork.
    2. Choose an eligible training provider 
    3. Fill out the forms and return them to your local Employment Office.
    4. Start your classes!

Rubel Khan - MY BLOG!
    If your question was truly answered, please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:17 PM

All replies

• Great!  Too bad I live at Riverside, California.  I can't get any help from them to even get the form to fill out.  Can't find the form anywhere.  I called them twice and they say what form.  each week they tell me to call back next Thursday and they are closed on Friday's.  Today they said call back in 2 weeks.  I want to take Oracle training at Netcomm, guess I can forget about that.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Yes NEG is a wonderful idea and is in fact available in all states...a little research in addition to calling your local DOL should get you the information you need.  Having said that can you respond to how this program helps the the majority of dislocated employees who due to no fault of their own were unfortunate enough to be separated from companies other than those listed above?  The financial sector is not limited to these select few.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 5:00 PM
  • This particular NEG is for laid-off workers who live and worked in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut, the heart of the financial services industry. To be eligible you must have worked at one of those companies and have been laid off on or after June 1 2008. At this point only Connecticut and New York are actually processing applications for it.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Sounds good. I qualify --- used to work for one of those companies in NY and was laid off this year. Maybe I get some Microsoft certifications now. 

I called my Connecticut Dept of Labor and they don't have a clue about it.  They referred me to the US Dept of Labor and I'm waiting for a call-back from a "Benefit Advisor".

Is there anyone that has more info on this program and successfully applied for it?

Thanks
    Win 7 x64 build 7137
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:50 PM