Scan time setting RRS feed

• Question

• In the settings for Viruses and Spyware, Sceduled scans, Starting at "time picker" box, I can only choose 12 hours clock without any PM/AM (numeric only) (even though 12:30 may be set).

Is this by design (I live in a "24 hour clock country" and my clock is set up so) ?

What does it actually mean ? Is the scan performed twice a day ?

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:34 AM

Answers

• Country: Norway (WLOC is still, for some strange reason, sold in Norway, therefore I am running beta 2.5 which was easy to download and install)

Oh, only quick scan, so it is not possible to setup full scan schedule ? (I thought that is the main point by doing it night time).

Tuneup has the same strange 12 hour clock settings (no PM/AM symbol), however backup has 24 hours (by numeric, not PM/AM)

Tried to change Regional Settings/Format from Norwegian to English(US), then the settings were 12 hours (with PM/AM), all 3 of them.

And now comes the funny thing I found out:

The default time format for norwegian is "HH:mmTongue Tieds" without symbols for AM/PM, this gives a 24 hours (numeric) clock all over except for OneCare settings (again except for backup which is ok).

Then I added the AM and PM symbols, but still "HH:mmTongue Tieds" which solves the problem.

Well almost anyway, PC clock, file timestamps etc. still shows 24 hour numeric time, OneCare however shows 12 hour clock with PM/AM, and I can live with that (even if it is always hard for a resident in a non-anglo country to remember the difference).

Not exactly consistent though.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:38 PM

All replies

• I just changed my settings in Vista to a 24 hour clock, but for US English Regional settings, and I still see AM/PM in my Virus and Spyware and Tune-up scheduled settings. What country are you in? What is the Regional setting on the PC and what operating system are you using?

I am quite certain that the scan will only be running once per day, but can't tell you when that is, based on your Regional Setting. I suspect it will be 12:30 and not 00:30. Note that this is the "quick scan" and that it executes as soon as the PC is booted up if it was not powered up when the scheduled time arrived. This scan only takes a few minutes, typically, so if it ran twice daily, it should not be a problem.

By the way, what does the dialog for the Tune-up time show? Do you get a 24 hour clock or an AM/PM indicator? How about the Backup schedule?

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Country: Norway (WLOC is still, for some strange reason, sold in Norway, therefore I am running beta 2.5 which was easy to download and install)

Oh, only quick scan, so it is not possible to setup full scan schedule ? (I thought that is the main point by doing it night time).

Tuneup has the same strange 12 hour clock settings (no PM/AM symbol), however backup has 24 hours (by numeric, not PM/AM)

Tried to change Regional Settings/Format from Norwegian to English(US), then the settings were 12 hours (with PM/AM), all 3 of them.

And now comes the funny thing I found out:

The default time format for norwegian is "HH:mmTongue Tieds" without symbols for AM/PM, this gives a 24 hours (numeric) clock all over except for OneCare settings (again except for backup which is ok).

Then I added the AM and PM symbols, but still "HH:mmTongue Tieds" which solves the problem.

Well almost anyway, PC clock, file timestamps etc. still shows 24 hour numeric time, OneCare however shows 12 hour clock with PM/AM, and I can live with that (even if it is always hard for a resident in a non-anglo country to remember the difference).

Not exactly consistent though.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Sorry for the "smileys", they appeared instead of "colon and s"
    Friday, June 13, 2008 1:41 PM
  • No need to apologize for the smileys. The forum software can be a bit strange that way.. :-)

Glad you were able to get a workaround. Since OneCare isn't yet sold in Norway, it may be a moot point, but it sounds like OneCare isn't respecting the Regional settings properly.

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:39 PM