Data Migration from Old WHS Server to a new HP EX485 RRS feed

• Question

• The boot drive failed on my WHS this weekend. Rather than replace my hardrive, I've decided to purchase a HP EX485. Is it possible to simply plug in the data drives from my old home server into the new unit, or will I need to restore the old WHS via the boot CD to a new boot drive and then migrate the data over manually? I've fine with reconfiguring all of my setting on the new unit, I'm more worried about getting my data onto the new WHS.

Community Program Manager
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• The supported method is to pull the drives out of your old server, connect them to another computer, and copy from the (hidden) folder <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc. to your new server. YOu can connect the drives directly to your new server, but then you'll have to use (unsupported) Remote Desktop to log in to your server. In either case you should copy to the shares (using the shortcut on the desktop), not directly to D:\Shares\etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tyler_Welch Monday, July 27, 2009 7:49 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:05 PM

All replies

• The supported method is to pull the drives out of your old server, connect them to another computer, and copy from the (hidden) folder <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc. to your new server. YOu can connect the drives directly to your new server, but then you'll have to use (unsupported) Remote Desktop to log in to your server. In either case you should copy to the shares (using the shortcut on the desktop), not directly to D:\Shares\etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tyler_Welch Monday, July 27, 2009 7:49 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I'll give it a shot on Wednesday when the new box arrives.
    Community Program Manager
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:49 PM
  • In detail the process is explained in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:45 PM