IP address and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I set the IP address manually using RDC on my WHS and now I cant find it. I can ping it.  I put in a lmhosts file and pointed it at the ip address and still nothing.  Is there a manual reset of the WHS so I can reset the ip address back to dhcp so it will find it?

Thanks and have a great day.

Rob

Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,
    setting a manual IP address may cause name resolution to fail for a while. Maybe reboot the server and the clients helps to speed up this process.
    Also not the lmhosts file, but the hosts file is what is usually used for name resolution by WHS components.
    If your clients connector software does not find the server, run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC.

Also ensure, that you have entered all necessary address information and did this without typo:
    IP Address (in the same IP subnet as the clients, outside of the routers DHCP range)
    Subnet mask (also matching the clients)
    Default Gateway (the router address)
    DNS Server (the router address)
    Eventually in the TCP/IP properties on Advanced/WINS set NetBIOS over TCP/IP to enabled (especially if it is Share access, which is causing you trouble).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:27 PM