Reinstalling my Windows Live One Care Program RRS feed

• Question

• Please help me.  I have removed my Windows live onecare program to try another program and didn't like it. How can I get my Live OneCare program back?  I didn't completely remove it.  I need protection, please get back to me as soon as possible. I could not get help by logging in to Windows One Care so I'm trying this.  My operating system is Vista home and I've had Windows Live onecare subscription for over a year or two. 

Linda
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:54 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• First run the One care install cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 Then to reinstall One Care use the "add another computer" link on the One Care homepage - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm To activate One Care, select "Subscribe" and enter the Live ID and password associated with your subscription when asked for a Live ID.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Marked as answer by JimR1Moderator Monday, November 16, 2009 12:07 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Thanks Jim, now I can't get back on my account to activate it.  I don't know what my ID is.  I just got one a little while ago, but I failed to write it down and I thought it was the same as my email address.  My email address is rvindick@wi.rr.com.  Can you help?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Thanks Jim, now I can't get back on my account to activate it.  I don't know what my ID is.  I just got one a little while ago, but I failed to write it down and I thought it was the same as my email address.  My email address is rvindick@wi.rr.com.  Can you help?

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/f5ce50e4-9165-40a5-891b-fe5d0659738b

For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Steve.  I have tried everything you suggested.  I just can't remember my ID way back when I first got Windows Live OneCare.  I do know that I got charged some months ago, (maybe Jan.) for sub renewal and it was quite a lot.  I started out with a trial and then purchased it.  I may not have ever activated afterword, but I may have.  I always use my main email address, so I find it hard to believe they can't track that.  Now my program is running but it tells me I have 14 days to subscribe.  Trouble is, I don't have the original id.  I never removed it fully from my computer, because I wanted to keep it, but just disable it to try something else. 

Also I was told that my original acitvation number would be under Help-about Windows Live one care on my dashboard.  But when I go in there, it says my subscription is no longer active.  It won't let me purchase it again either.  It says its not taking new orders and I shoud download Windows Essentials or something like that.  I have spent hours going in circles over this.  Can't get through any phone lines either to talk to a real person. 

Any other suggestions?

Frustrated me.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Check your email, Linda.
    You won't see your subscription LiveID because you reinstalled OneCare. When you renewed, your subscription was extended, so there was no additional activation required.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Oh so in 15 days when my subscription runs out they charge again?  Is that how it works? Is it an annual subscription? This is confusing.  Usually it is easy to get a hold of someone to talk to you about your account.  Thanks for helping out, I appreciate it.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Linda, sorry that it is confusing.
    OneCare has always been an annual subscription. However, earlier this year all customers with expiring subscriptions were given a free 6 month extension - no charge. Last month, renewals and new purchases were suspended. That means that when your subscription expires, if you have already gotten the 6 month extension earlier in the year (I don't think you fall in this category, based on your dates mentined), your subscription will likely not be extended or renewed and you will need to switch to another solution. In your case, with a renewal last January or so, your current subscription will not expire until next January. At that time you may still be getting a free 6 month extension or Microsoft will send you a notification that you need to switch.
    Your current problem (hopefully resolved late yesterday) is that you do not remember the subscription LiveID and you have performed a reinstall. You need to activate with that subscription ID or the installed copy will go into lock down/expired mode as there is no longer a trial period for OneCare.
    With your contact information, perhaps the credit card number or phone number, support can look up your account and you can activate. If you have also forgotten the password for the subscription LiveID, support can reset the password for you.
    You can email support following the instructions posted previously, and selecting the option that you are a trial user, or you can call support. When you call, you will need to deal with the Voice Response Unit which provides guided help in an effort to have you resolve the problem without speaking with an agent - which cannot help you since you don't recall the subscription ID and you have tried the other options I provided - logging in at the Billing site, for example, to see if your subscription is listed there.
    -steve
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:41 PM