Loss of mapping to Network Drive RRS feed

• Question

• BACKGROUND

I have 3 IBM clone computers, side by side, each with OneCare installed. They are not tied together by OneCare, they are all independant, except for sharing a router and a Dlink DNS323 NAS storage device, SATA with a 500 gig in it. All computers are rock solid in their connection to the Dlink, except for one. It will go a day, (or so), hooked up fine, and then I will come home some evenings and it says it can not establish a connection to the NAS. I check the other computers, and they are logged on to it rock solid. If I reboot the failed computer and use the utility that came with the Dlink DNS323, it USUALLY will let just me delete it, (if it won't let me, it makes me do a dance I can't even remember what I do to delete it), then REMAP it, and it will work again....for a while.  So it looks like it is JUST the MAPPING of the drive, not actually the drive or the connection to the drive failing.

MY QUESTION

Could the OneCare on that one failed computer be blocking it from accessing the Dlink NAS drive? If so, I am open to any help and suggestions. Thanks!

Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:19 PM

Answers

• I've moved your post to the Firewall topic, since it could be a firewall issue, though I suspect not, since you are able to map to the drive without doing anything to OneCare - the problem being that it just can't consistently maintain that mapping. My recommendation is to contact D-Link support, though I'll leave this thread unanswered for now. One simple test to eliminate OneCare as the problem, turn off the OneCare firewall and see if the problem goes away.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:22 AM

All replies

• I've moved your post to the Firewall topic, since it could be a firewall issue, though I suspect not, since you are able to map to the drive without doing anything to OneCare - the problem being that it just can't consistently maintain that mapping. My recommendation is to contact D-Link support, though I'll leave this thread unanswered for now. One simple test to eliminate OneCare as the problem, turn off the OneCare firewall and see if the problem goes away.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:22 AM
  • It turned out to be Windows XP causing all the problems. Changed to VISTA, and all is well. THANKS!

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:20 AM
  • I'm glad to read that the problem is resolved.

-steve

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:00 PM