Edge license? RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have one SE OCS 2007 deployed. We want to add an Edge Access Server. Does this require another SE license?



    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:24 PM

All replies

  • The Edge Server role is part of either the Standard or Enterprise Edition of OCS, additional licenses are not needed.

    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Hi Jeff,


    Are you sure on that licensing for the Edge? my local reps tell me that it falls into the same class as the mediation. it requires a license it can just be licensed as a standard copy it doesn't require a enterprise even if you use enterprise for your frontend.




    Friday, August 15, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Hmmm...I did word that strangely. Let me rephrase:  Yes, it needs to be licensed but what I think I meant is exactly what you just said, that you can license a consolidated Edge server as Standard while using a distribute Enterprise Front-End.


    Sorry for the confusion.  And hopefully Mike Stacy will chime in here, he knows the licensing stuff very well.




    Friday, August 15, 2008 3:59 PM
  • That makes more sense! from my understanding the only roles that don't need to be licensed are the QOE and the CWA roles!


    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Does anybody know of a document that states these licensing features?


    I am looking at the Microsoft Product Use Rights document and it states:


          Running Instances of the Additional Software.  You may run or otherwise use any number of instances of the additional software listed in the table below in physical or virtual operating system environments on any number of devices.  You may use those instances only with the server software.  Use of any instance with the server software may be indirect, through other additional software, or direct.




    List of Additional Software

    Office Communications Server 2007 Standard and Enterprise Editions

    ·   Administration Tools

    ·   Archiving Service

    ·   Office Live Meeting client

    ·   Office Communications Server 2007 deployed in Mediation Server role

    ·   Office Communications Server 2007 Software Update Service

    ·   Office Communications Server 2007 Web Components

    ·   Conferencing Add-in for Microsoft Office Outlook

    ·   Office Communicator Web Access

    ·   Office Communicator Mobile

    ·   Software Development Kit

    ·   Office Communications Server 2007 Quality of Experience Monitoring Server


    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Sorry, I was out of town for a few days and just saw this question.  I posted a concise but hopefully thorough article on OCS licensing if you want to check it out:  http://evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike/archive/2008/05/29/ocs-2007-licensing.aspx.  If you have more questions post them here and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:02 PM
  • For OCS edge server that externals connect to you must also acquire the OCS External connector licenses (standard and possibly also enterprise edition version) or secure CALS for all clients connecting to them.



    Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:54 AM
  • Just to be clear in regards to the original question about SERVER licensing.  You DO need a seperate OCS server license for the Access Edge Server.


    Example:  If you have 1 OCS2007 std edition installed internally, supporting 2000 users and you want to enable remote access, then you would deploy another OCS2007 Std Edition server as an Access Edge Server.


    This example would require you to own 2 OCS2007 Std Edition Servers.


    The user CALs are a whole other topic Smile


    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:22 AM