Won't boot from DVD possibly BIOS issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2U server I want to build into a home server.  It's a TYAN S2466 board, pretty old.  I have a DVD ROM in there I know that works and the DVD simply does not boot.  I have tested and successfully booted with many different Windows OS disks.  I saw on the web one place said the BIOS must be updated or else the disk will sometimes not boot.  Well the TYAN has archived the S2466 BIOS updates however they seem to be non existant on their website.  I also cannot find them anywhere else.  It's not that I have a problem with updating the BIOS I just can't figure out where to get the updates.

Does anyone know how to get the install to boot without flashing the BIOS?  Or if it is even a BIOS version issue at all?  I built this server just for this purpose and I'd really like to be able to use it.  Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:12 AM

Answers

• It was on cable select plugged into the master port on the cable so I changed the jumper to Master and still no luck.

I've never encountered and operating system that checks the bios for compatibility, does it actually do this?

EDIT:
    Well I solved it, finally.  I remembered seeing in one of the bios updates that USB boot had been added.  I took out my USB DVD drive, plugged it in and wouldn't you know it, it worked.

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.
    • Marked as answer by gascione Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:15 PM

All replies

• I have a 2U server I want to build into a home server.  It's a TYAN S2466 board, pretty old.  I have a DVD ROM in there I know that works and the DVD simply does not boot.  I have tested and successfully booted with many different Windows OS disks.  I saw on the web one place said the BIOS must be updated or else the disk will sometimes not boot.  Well the TYAN has archived the S2466 BIOS updates however they seem to be non existant on their website.  I also cannot find them anywhere else.  It's not that I have a problem with updating the BIOS I just can't figure out where to get the updates.

Does anyone know how to get the install to boot without flashing the BIOS?  Or if it is even a BIOS version issue at all?  I built this server just for this purpose and I'd really like to be able to use it.  Thanks in advance.

When you say it "does not boot", exactly what does it do?  What do you see on screen?  What error messages do you get (if any)?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:32 AM
  • No error messages, it completely skips booting from the DVD rom, it just goes right to the next step in the boot order, doesn't acknowledge it at all.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Did you try also other OS DVDs? (or only CDs?)
    If so, try to boot the WHS DVD on another system to exclude difficulties with the disk, and if this works on the other system, attach its DVD drive temporary to the wanted server and try booting again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Server 2008 DVD works, also a few builds of linux I have on DVDs work.  I made sure the drive was good, also I have another one and sometimes I test out both to make sure.

WHS DVD boots fine in my laptop, my home machine and also another server I have built, it's an ASUS board though, newer.  I cannot, however, use that server for WHS.

Also, last night I came across an article online about booting WHS off a USB flash drive.  I set it all up on my stick and tried it on my laptop, worked like a charm, tried it on the server and it still did not work.  That could attribute, however, to the lack of USB booting support in the older boards.

Thank you for your time guys, if you have any more suggestions throw em' at me.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Bios files here (i think)
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:38 PM
  • I flashed the BIOS and still no luck, it completely skips the CD.  I've been beating my head against the walls.  Anyone else have any ideas?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Is the DVD drive attached and jumpered as Master?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:29 PM
  • It was on cable select plugged into the master port on the cable so I changed the jumper to Master and still no luck.

I've never encountered and operating system that checks the bios for compatibility, does it actually do this?

EDIT:
    Well I solved it, finally.  I remembered seeing in one of the bios updates that USB boot had been added.  I took out my USB DVD drive, plugged it in and wouldn't you know it, it worked.

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.
    • Marked as answer by gascione Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:15 PM