WHS: How to automatically replace permission entries on child objects RRS feed

• Question

• I have utorrent running 24/7 on my WHS server and downloading files directly to a shared folder on the same server (Downloads Folder).

Problem is, the files downloaded/created by utorrent seem to have administrative priveledges and cannot be seem over the network share from a guest account (guest account over the network accessing the share).

To remedy the problem manually, I have to go to my downloads folder, go to the advanced permissions menu and click on "replace permission on all child objects". After that is done, I am able to access the files via a guest account over the network.

My questions is, how can the above manual process be automated? I want to get all the files utorrent downloads to have the correct permissions in order to access them from the network.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• There are command line tools which can be used in a batch file. Search for cacls and xcacls. Please be very careful using these tools; you really don't want to accidentally replace permissions on an object and deny yourself access in the ptocess.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:10 PM