none
Printer sharing issue with Vista and low memory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all.

I am having a problem with printer sharing on my Windows Vista Home Premium system.  The system only has 512 MB of memory installed, so that's probably the root of the problem.  I actually have another 512 MB memory module available, but my motherboard will only recognize one of them at a time.

I have a Samsung ML-1740 laser printer attached to this computer and I would like to move it to my WHS so that I can use it from other computers even when the Vista PC is turned off.  Everything works OK until I try to connect remotely to the printer from the Vista system.  When I try to do this, I get an out-of-memory error while attempting to connect to the printer on the WHS system.

Short of buying a new motherboard for the Windows Vista system, is there any way around this?

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:54 PM

Answers

•  mkabala wrote:

Hi, all.

I am having a problem with printer sharing on my Windows Vista Home Premium system.  The system only has 512 MB of memory installed, so that's probably the root of the problem.  I actually have another 512 MB memory module available, but my motherboard will only recognize one of them at a time.

I have a Samsung ML-1740 laser printer attached to this computer and I would like to move it to my WHS so that I can use it from other computers even when the Vista PC is turned off.  Everything works OK until I try to connect remotely to the printer from the Vista system.  When I try to do this, I get an out-of-memory error while attempting to connect to the printer on the WHS system.

Short of buying a new motherboard for the Windows Vista system, is there any way around this?

I have the exact printer and the same setup. Here is how to fix it. You will need the ML1740 XP and Vista drivers from the samsung website. Create a folder called ML740 on your desktop and use WinRar/WinZip to extract the files from the vista installation and store these files in the ML1740 folder:

1) In an RDP on the WHS, install the XP version of the Samsung ML-1740 drivers on the WHS. Do a print test to confirm it is ok.

2) Connect the printer to the WHS and enable printer sharing (name the printer "ML740")

3) On the Vista box, go and add a new printer. Select "Add a local port". Create a New Port, the type of port -> Local Port. Then click next. In the new dialog box, enter \\server\ML1740

4) If you get an error, check the name of the shared printer. The next screen should ask you to install printer driver. Select "have disk" and browse to the ML1740 folder on your Vista desktop.

5) The drivers will install and you should be able to do a test print at the end.

The problem with printer sharing is always the same - printers need OS specific versions to work with your OS. Therefore, if you want to share printer X on Win 98, XP, 2003 and Vista, you will need drivers for each OS since the sharing service on the WHS will try to install the 2003/XP drivers on each OS.

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

• Just for clarity:

• The Samsung ML-1740 is now hooked up to your home server.
      • Can you print to it from other PCs on your home network?
      • What is the OS on these other PCs
    • On the Vista machine that is giving the error.
      • How are you printing, from with an application, Windows Explorer?
      • Under Printer management - did you remove the Local Printer and add the printer that is now attached to your home server?
      • What is the exact text of the error message and what are the repro steps?
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:33 PM
  •  mkabala wrote:

Hi, all.

I have the exact printer and the same setup. Here is how to fix it. You will need the ML1740 XP and Vista drivers from the samsung website. Create a folder called ML740 on your desktop and use WinRar/WinZip to extract the files from the vista installation and store these files in the ML1740 folder:

1) In an RDP on the WHS, install the XP version of the Samsung ML-1740 drivers on the WHS. Do a print test to confirm it is ok.

2) Connect the printer to the WHS and enable printer sharing (name the printer "ML740")

3) On the Vista box, go and add a new printer. Select "Add a local port". Create a New Port, the type of port -> Local Port. Then click next. In the new dialog box, enter \\server\ML1740

4) If you get an error, check the name of the shared printer. The next screen should ask you to install printer driver. Select "have disk" and browse to the ML1740 folder on your Vista desktop.

5) The drivers will install and you should be able to do a test print at the end.

The problem with printer sharing is always the same - printers need OS specific versions to work with your OS. Therefore, if you want to share printer X on Win 98, XP, 2003 and Vista, you will need drivers for each OS since the sharing service on the WHS will try to install the 2003/XP drivers on each OS.

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Thanks.  That got my shared printer working with my Vista machine.  Now all I have to do is find out why the printer test is failing with my XP machine.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:55 PM
  • This thread gave me the information that I needed to share my Samsung ML-2010 laser printer on my WHS.    Would it be possible for a forum administrator to add cmcarthy's post to the FAQ?   Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Im trying this my self. How do you RDP into the server?
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:22 AM
  •  

Holy thread dredge Batman!

To answer:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

You'll use Administrator as the username, and your WHS password (the same one you use for the Console) as the password.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:32 PM
  • mkabala, did you ever solve the issue of getting the Test Page to print?

I have the same issue mentioned in the first post, which is strange because I have an HP MediaSmart that I have expanded to 2GB of memory... so this does not seem to be a memory issue.

Using mcarthy's method I was able to get the ML-1740 working with a test page from the home server.  I was also able to install the Vista driver on my client with the local port.  However, when attempting to print a test page I get a message saying "Test page failed to print.  Would you like to view the print troubleshooter?"  It gives no further detail whatsoever, and of course the print troubleshooter is all about making sure your connections are correct and things like that.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:19 AM
  • So, did anyone get passed this stage?  I'm just going round and round in circles of adding local ports, installing drivers, changing to \\server\printer, test page failing to print.....
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:49 PM