Fresh Installation on different hard drives reporting no Installation ID to activate. RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed Windows XP Professional several times now, using different hardware to eliminate the possibility of a corrupted installation, while doing this each time on a new hard drive, so that a new Installation ID would be generated and not used from the previous attempts. What is happening is, the entire installation will complete without a hitch with the exception that at the very end, when it's about to boot into the desktop for the first time, it asks to be activated.

Upon attempting to activate by phone as, the internet method wouldn't work since there aren't any NIC drivers installed, it doesn't produce any Installation ID as you know is necessary to give it to the technician at MS and they give back a Confirmation ID and viola it'll be done. But there is no Installation ID on that screen. I've attempted to change the product key as well and that produces the same result.

I'll list the components I'm using and what I've swapped as well.

EVGA 780i SLI Motherboard

Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU(2.4GHz x 4)

2x EVGA 8800GT 512MB PCIe DDR3 in SLI (well not yet)

2GB Corsair XMS2-PC6400 Memory (swapped memory thinking it might be corrupting the installation)

Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk (i've swapped this for a new one each attempt) I've gone through about 4 now. (just in case)

Lite-On Dual Layer DVDRW Drive w/ LightScribe (swapped this, thinking maybe files might not be copying correctly)

And that's all I have plugged in, nothing else is relevant as it's disconnected.

We are a manufacturer and can't stray from this conguration as it's what the customer ordered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that might help.

Best Regards,

GS

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:25 PM

Answers

• Ax3ss,

How sure are you your installation CD is Genuine?  Is it OEM, retail full, retail upgrade (should be OEM if you are the manufacturer).

Have you tried declining activation and then just manually installing the NIC drivers, then activating normally over the internet?  You have 30 days to activate before the installation turns into a Pumpkin.

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• Ax3ss,

As a manufacturer you should be using the OEM Preinstallation Kit to do your OEM installations of XP.  The OPK has functions that alow you to programmatically install drivers and updates without having to activate the installation, so that the End User can do it.

What edition and license are you useing to install XP Pro?

Are you using a genuine hologrammed Microsoft CD, or are you installing from a network share?

Do you have IE7 slipstreamed into your installation CDs or shares?  If so, IE7 under certain circumstances can interfere with the presentation of the Installation ID in the Activation Wizard.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:54 PM
  •  

We are using the hologrammed Microsoft CD. We already use OPK distribution for our Vista installs. However, for XP we still use the disc. It's an original version, not one with IE7 in it. The vista installations work well over the network, when distributed from the server. The XP installs aren't so easy for us for some reason, so we do it the hard way.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Ax3ss,

How sure are you your installation CD is Genuine?  Is it OEM, retail full, retail upgrade (should be OEM if you are the manufacturer).

Have you tried declining activation and then just manually installing the NIC drivers, then activating normally over the internet?  You have 30 days to activate before the installation turns into a Pumpkin.

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:49 PM