Multiple instances of Windows Live Messenger after installing SharedView RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone noticed sometimes there are two instances of Windows Live Messenger running after rebooting while SharedView is also installed? This is happening on a few of the machines that I support. The only New Thing that seems to be common between them all is they had SharedView installed on them recently.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 7:41 PM

Answers

• Ogre,

I have tried to reproduce your experience with the following two scenarios below but didn't exihibit the double instance of Messenger behavior you described. Can you provide additional details that make your scenarios different than the two I described? For example, OS flavor, messenger version, specific behavior on how you use messenger prior to reboot, i.e. leaving a conversation window open, im'ing buddy who is still online.

When you mentioned 2 copies, is this making a reference to the systray icon or the Messenger client app itself? Does the logged out instance of messenger function when you sign in? Were you able to get both instance signed-in? How easily can you reproduce this problem, if you were to reboot the machine 4 times does it guarantee a repro? Any other commonality between your systems that are seeing this problem? Sorry for the flood of questions, but this will help us understand your scenario better.

Thanks in advance for helping us understand the problem and narrowing it down.

Scenario1

1. On XP machine w/ Messenger v8.1.0178
    2. Installed Beta1 SharedView client
    3. Configured Messenger for auto startup and auto sign-in
    4. Reboot the machine
    5. Log in post-reboot and both Messenger & SharedView work has expected

Scenario2

1. On Vista machine w/ Messenger v.7.5.0324
    2. Configure Messenger for auto startup and auto sign-in
    3. Install Beta1 SharedView client
    4. Reboot the machine
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:54 PM

All replies

• Can you please specify how you observed the 2 instances of Windows Live Messenger running after the SharedView install?

Thanks for using MS SharedView Beta!

Maria

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Well just install Live Messenger, then install SharedView. The config we have is Live Messenger is set to auto-login and auto-run. Then reboot. The next time you login, there's like a 25% chance there will be two instances of Messenger. One logged out and one logged in. I've also seen ghost instances of Windows Messenger running but without icons (prolly not related to SharedView) but only after installing SharedView did I see two copies of Live Messenger. If no one else has seen this then it could be something specific to my systems.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Ogre,

I have tried to reproduce your experience with the following two scenarios below but didn't exihibit the double instance of Messenger behavior you described. Can you provide additional details that make your scenarios different than the two I described? For example, OS flavor, messenger version, specific behavior on how you use messenger prior to reboot, i.e. leaving a conversation window open, im'ing buddy who is still online.

When you mentioned 2 copies, is this making a reference to the systray icon or the Messenger client app itself? Does the logged out instance of messenger function when you sign in? Were you able to get both instance signed-in? How easily can you reproduce this problem, if you were to reboot the machine 4 times does it guarantee a repro? Any other commonality between your systems that are seeing this problem? Sorry for the flood of questions, but this will help us understand your scenario better.

Thanks in advance for helping us understand the problem and narrowing it down.

Scenario1

1. On XP machine w/ Messenger v8.1.0178
    2. Installed Beta1 SharedView client
    3. Configured Messenger for auto startup and auto sign-in
    4. Reboot the machine

Scenario2

1. On Vista machine w/ Messenger v.7.5.0324
    2. Configure Messenger for auto startup and auto sign-in
    3. Install Beta1 SharedView client
    4. Reboot the machine
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:54 PM
  • Ogre,

If you get a chance to continue to troubleshoot this issue with us, please come back to the forums and share your experience with us.

Thanks.

Monday, June 4, 2007 10:41 PM