none
Cannot restore backup on Money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have managed to install Money 2004 from my original disc and it works if I create a test.mny. As well, it used to work on Windows 10 just fine. Needed to reset my laptop. I copied a backup to my external drive but don't have a .mny file. 

PLEASE HELP.

I am unable to restore my backup and get the error:

Money cannot fine a my money.mny file or cannot open it possibly it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try it again.

Friday, September 15, 2017 4:03 PM

All replies

• If your Money disk does not say "Money 2004" but does say copyright 2004, download the appropriate version of Money via a link in what is currently the second post in this forum. Use that as your install file.

If that does not apply to you, Here are things I would try:

1. Restore your latest backup file. Rather than restore to the saved filename, Browse to your Documents folder and choose a new name. This does not overwrite your current file.

2. Make a repaired version of your  curent file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

3. Restore your second-newest backup file from the current file. Rather than restore to the saved filename, Browse to your Documents folder and choose a new name.

Friday, September 15, 2017 5:31 PM